Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS really just a fashion statement?

Feedback Score
    I keep BUIS on my AR's for 2 reasons.. it's possible that even my AimPoints can fail at some point but neither has so I like the insurance of having them if needed. I never really use them just the main optic but they are there if needed. Seem's like cheap light weight insurance for a potential serious use gun.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Double tap
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-18-20 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I like iron sights. I shoot irons regularly (or I did before the ammo situation got all stupid). I have several ARs that are irons-only guns.
    When it comes to guns with optics, personally I prefer to have a backup sighting system of some sort. I basically consider it a necessity however that probably has more to do with my own Obsessive Compulsive Disorder than with any actual “mission requirement” where the optics on my guns are at elevated risk of damage. Because they aren’t, I’m just a civilian. Back when I had a scoped bolt action 30-06 I also insisted the rudimentary backup sights on that rifle be zeroed as well, and made a point of zeroing them before mounting the scope.

But on my four optically sighted guns, the ones with magnified optics have folding backups that are zeroed and stay folded, hopefully never to be needed. The optic mounts aren’t QD currently but I do keep the relevant tools to remove the mount either on my person or on the gun itself.
    On my Aimpoint-equipped guns I actually use fixed rear sights (An LMT rear and a chopped carry handle to be specific ) with the Aimpoints in ADM standard height mounts. This affords a more or less “absolute cowitness” arrangement which....is a an arrangement that I’ve determined I actually dislike quite a bit and find myself positioning my face so I can look over the irons when using the dot. I should have gone with 1/3 cowitness. At some point in the future I will probably transition to folding rear sights or a slightly higher Aimpoint mount.
    Last edited by Circle_10; 09-18-20 at 08:46.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I was thinking back to 2007 while deployed to Fallujah Iraq. I had a few conversations with different USMC units that were carrying 20" guns with ACOG's and I noticed that many did not wear BUIS's at all. When I asked them most of them chuckled and said it was just one more piece of gear to keep up with and they never used them since basic anyway. At the time I thought it unusual but even in Afghanistan noticed the same with several USMC units, and these were infantry. I never noticed AF, USN. or Army not wearing them.

I've only got one ACOG and it has BUIS but I could live without on the ACOG equipped rifle. On both of my LPVO and T-1 rifles I prefer them still. I'm not convinced of the durability of the LPVO and the purpose of the T-1 wearing carbines justifies the BUIS. For me anyway.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Are they offset/angled irons? Because co-witnessed irons still wouldn't work if you can't see through a fogged-up optic.
    No, they’re not offset. But it got me thinking about doing offset. My Aimpoint mount comes off pretty easily. But that has been my argument lately about backup iron sights. They need to be available for when not just the dot fails but the entire optic, fogging, or breaking.

I’ve been experimenting with placing a small towel over the optic which serves as insulation. Seems to help a little.

These are good discussions because often things sound like rock solid plans on paper but then you’re thrown an unforeseen curveball.
    Last edited by El Vaquero; 09-18-20 at 08:59.

Feedback Score
    For me it simply comes down to this: better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

No, they are not a fashion statement.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have BUIS on all my "serious" guns to back up the Aimpoints, Trijicons, Nightforces, and Leupolds on them for all the reasons noted.

But tell me why I have them on all my "fun" guns next to the Sigs, PAs, and Holosuns???

I wish I knew...

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Are they offset/angled irons? Because co-witnessed irons still wouldn't work if you can't see through a fogged-up optic.
    That point has got me to thinking lately about offsets.

As far as the OP, yeah, I still want BUIS. Guess I always like to have a Plan B. No trust 100% in any-damn-thing!
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    For me it simply comes down to this: better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

No, they are not a fashion statement.
    Pretty much my line of thinking.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I Shoot my guns regularly enough that I know all my optics are solid; even the Holosuns. And honestly If I am doing hood rat shit again, its at night; so BUIS are useless.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast