Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Are BUIS really just a fashion statement?

Feedback Score
    One of the reasons some tier one units aren't using irons anymore is because they're useless at night under nods and the majority of their opps are at O dark 30. That's not our context.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    One of the reasons some tier one units aren't using irons anymore is because they're useless at night under nods and the majority of their opps are at O dark 30. That's not our context.
    And because if your optic goes down in a fight, you have several of your best friends available to help take care of that problem. Also, there are both visible and IR lasers on every gun, so there is redundancy in aiming devices And many still use them, unless they don’t make sense on a given configuration.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Either keep this civil or keep out. I've had 2 reports on this thread.
    Love you Pop. F*ck Cancer.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by prepare View Post
    Good point. At one time people tried the tritium front post and it just didn’t work that well.

Daytime BUIS use is different but again, it’s not always day time.

There are no easy answers. I like RMRs I just don’t have one on my rifle yet.

So far my holosight hasn’t given me issues.

I like the idea of canted RMR or piggyback.

Ideally you want something that pops and is unobtrusive

BURMR. I’m coining it now.

Feedback Score
    82 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    But I still think an AR pattern rifle without irons is one catastrophe away from being useless, whereas those with BUIS is two away. MBUIS is cheap insurance and they color coordinate!
    This is where my irons philosophy is at.
    I've seen enough stupid shit happen in other areas of life to not have had "2 is one" drummed thoroughly into my head.
    That being said, I'm also in the camp of, "the better your optic, the more you can cheap out on your BUIS". I also don't believe a new shooter MUST get irons right away, especially since most new shooters are going to find that whole process frustrating
    I refuse to have ANY optic attached to a 'serious use' gun without a way to get it off quick. This is literally the ONE place I'll spurge for QD mounts (or just use the AP QRP mount cuz I'm a poor).

But to be blunt, we just had a thread about fixed FSBs and how they still rock; so why is anyone questioning the usefulness of having BUIS?
    It's 2020; people haven't figured out that rain, cold, and temperature changes can have adverse effects on optics?
    Heck, the weather can even affect what aperture will work best for your irons.

I mean, I get where FF is coming from about "question everything you use", but I mean... are there some super gucci irons on market people are buying solely for aesthetics that I've missed, that's driving the 'fashion statement' thought?
    "Once we get some iron in our souls, we'll get some iron in our hands..."

"...A rapid, aggressive response will let you get away with some pretty audacious things if you are willing to be mean, fast, and naked."-Failure2Stop

"The Right can meme; the Left can organize. I guess now we know which one is important." - Random internet comment

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    You want harsh criticism?

Yes, it's a stupid thread. If you can't figure out why, you are just trolling around looking for attention. Get over yourself.
    Oh c'mon now this isn't nearly as bad as the thread in Technical Discussion about someone not being able to install a grip screw.

Anyway.

If we're going to say that back up irons are a must have, it's probably a good idea to say that a QD optic mount is also a must have. If your optic gets shot, or covered in fog, or horse manure, or any of the other one million things that could render the optic unable to be seen through, being able to remove the optic without tools seems like it would be a priority.

At one point I looked at my original T1 in the LaRue LT660 and thought about replacing it with a Daniel Defense mount, as I'd never actually removed it from the upper after several years of use and figured it was added weight with no benefit with the potential of things getting snagged on the QD lever. I never bothered to swap it, realizing that even though I've never removed it, having the ability to isn't having a negative impact on anything. I use Scalarworks mounts on my newer Aimpoints which are the best of both worlds. Lightweight, tool less removal, and no levers to get snagged.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Oh c'mon now this isn't nearly as bad as the thread in Technical Discussion about someone not being able to install a grip screw.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I dont get this fantasy scenario where someone is going to be messing the QD levers in the middle of gunfight to use their irons.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I dont get this fantasy scenario where someone is going to be messing the QD levers in the middle of gunfight to use their irons.
    I am interested in your opinion on this alternative: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...-FSB-secondary

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I don't get the fantasy scenario of needing them in a gun fight, yet here we are.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast