Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Suppressor Legal Questions

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aap3535 View Post
    Wow, every time i read a post I think I have it, and then the next post pops and makes me question it again.
    1. If i buy a complete AR with a 16" barrel, are we saying the lower is then registered as a rifle and I may not put a sub 16" barrelled upper on it with a brace and be good to go in state or interstate?

That is correct, although registered isn't exactly the correct term, more like designated. You can go pistol to rifle back to pistol but you can't go rifle to pistol when it starts life as a rifle.

2. If #1 is true, I can only buy a lower already configured as a pistol, a complete pistol, or a stripped lower and designate as pistol when transferred to be able to put a brace and sub 16" barrel on and be good to go

I know i'm missing something...
    A stripped or complete lower with no upper attached at the time of transfer should be transferred to you as "other" because it's just a receiver at that point. A complete lower with a brace will still be transferred to you as "other". A complete AR pistol will transfer as a pistol.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    That is correct, although registered isn't exactly the correct term, more like designated. You can go pistol to rifle back to pistol but you can't go rifle to pistol when it starts life as a rifle.

A stripped or complete lower with no upper attached at the time of transfer should be transferred to you as "other" because it's just a receiver at that point. A complete lower with a brace will still be transferred to you as "other". A complete AR pistol will transfer as a pistol.

Is there a way to verify if a complete lower was transferred as "other"? I don't recall at the time of buying.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234