Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Suppressor Legal Questions

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by R0CKETMAN View Post
    The first link is irrelevant to the question.

I didn’t read the multiple pages in the second link.

The question was...
    can a manufactured short barrel rifle be reconfigured as a pistol by simply swapping stock to a brace.

I don’t believe so as it’s a rifle lower, but am not certain.
    If it starts life as a pistol, it can go back and forth between rifle and pistol.
    If it states life as a rifle, thats all it is. Thats why pistols are preferred by people, because it maximizes flexibility.

The first link is relevant because you are turning a pistol into a rifle, back into a pistol. The short barrel doesnt change how its treated, its still a rifle, you just need permission for the short barrel on a rifle. Sbr isnt its own category, its a sub category of rifle. Thats my understanding if everything Ive read from atf and the laws, but Im not a lawyer either.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-24-20 at 07:37.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

The question was...
    can a manufactured short barrel rifle be reconfigured as a pistol by simply swapping stock to a brace.

Lol can't find the relevance in the first link and didn't bother reading the second. Ok then, carry on.

Feedback Score

The question was...

There is no such thing as a ‘rifle lower’. The very basis of your claim on this subject is wrong.

Read the links five point five six provided, and please understand you aren’t helping by spreading false information.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Lol can't find the relevance in the first link and didn't bother reading the second. Ok then, carry on.
    Adding a 16” bbl upper to a pistol wasn’t the question. Adding a brace to a sub 16” was right?
    "Bones Heal, Chics Dig Scars, Pain Goes Away"

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by r-r View Post
    There is no such thing as a ‘rifle lower’. The very basis of your claim on this subject is wrong.

Read the links five point five six provided, and please understand you aren’t helping by spreading false information.
    Read each of my posts and you’ll see I haven’t been “spreading false” anything. Quite the opposite.

Perhaps you skimmed and missed the

“I am not certain” and the “?”

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    So when you “SBR” a pistol lower it’s not a rifle? Or it is only a “rifle” as long as it has a stock?

Feedback Score
    So when you “SBR” a pistol lower it’s not a rifle? Or it is only a “rifle” as long as it has a stock?
    Registering it has no impact on what it is, only the legality of a specific configuration.

If its originally a pistol, its free to convert to rifle and back, regardless of bbl length.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 09-24-20 at 21:11.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    Registering it has no impact on what it is, only the legality of a specific configuration.

If its originally a pistol, its free to convert to rifle and back, regardless of bbl length.
    Roger that. So you haven’t necessarily manufactured a short bbl “RIFLE” by “SBRing” pistol lower?!

Edit: so the intrinsic benefit is that one could throw a brace on a “short bbl’d” upper if lower was born as a pistol where if it was born as a rifle that’s a no go?

I’ve had “SBR” lowers for over 15years. Guess I need to add my BCM pistol lower.
    Last edited by R0CKETMAN; 09-25-20 at 06:52.

Feedback Score
    Roger that. So you haven’t necessarily manufactured a short bbl “RIFLE” by “SBRing” pistol lower?!

Edit: so the intrinsic benefit is that one could throw a brace on a “short bbl’d” upper if lower was born as a pistol where if it was born as a rifle that’s a no go?

I’ve had “SBR” lowers for over 15years. Guess I need to add my BCM pistol lower.
    1. You made it a rifle, but it can change back to pistol because it was originally designed as one. The original manufacture is the critical part.

2. Yes, that is my understanding.

Feedback Score
    Wow, every time i read a post I think I have it, and then the next post pops and makes me question it again.
    1. If i buy a complete AR with a 16" barrel, are we saying the lower is then registered as a rifle and I may not put a sub 16" barrelled upper on it with a brace and be good to go in state or interstate?
    2. If #1 is true, I can only buy a lower already configured as a pistol, a complete pistol, or a stripped lower and designate as pistol when transferred to be able to put a brace and sub 16" barrel on and be good to go

I know i'm missing something...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast