Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The current AR landscape

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    ... so I’m back to messing with these clunky sharp-edged upjumped submachine guns.
    Mr. Bulgarian here calls AK's like they are. 😄

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    AKs scratch the same itch M1 Carbines do. They are objectively crappy but they have so much lore behind them.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    AKs scratch the same itch M1 Carbines do. They are objectively crappy but they have so much lore behind them.
    The field strip and reassembly on the AK is so much more easier than the M1 Carbine. Having the right touch with that M1 Carbine slide/lever is an art for reinstalling. That being said, my youngest son and I rebuilt an original M1A1 that had some well worn parts as part of a father-son project. Even used boiled linseed oil for the wood finish. The result is a fine shooting weapon. Here's my son from a couple of years ago with the finished product. That young man graduates from West Point next year:
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Circle_10 View Post
    Yugo brass cased 7.62x39?
    From what I recall Martin Fackler tested that stuff and it apparently exhibits slightly better wound ballistics than other 7.62x39 ball. Probably still very mediocre compared to a fragmenting or expanding projectile though but mediocrity is just the nature of FMJ 7.62x39.
    Yes, that’s the stuff. Green wooden crate with handles. I haven’t shot any of it but I had heard it was decent AK/SKS ammo. I might go back and get some more. I think the crate is 1200 rounds.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    I am tempted to go the AK route...but that means 1-2 guns, about 2-3k in rounds, 10 to 20 extra mags, etc....
    Agreed. Thankfully, I am already at the numbers you mentioned. Most of it was acquired way before Barry was elected.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Funny how the AR landscape turned into the AK landscape.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Not really, at least not if you planned well during the "salad days" we've had the last several years.

I have one AK. It is a WASR with chrome lined barrel and (believe it or not) a pretty decent trigger for an AK. It's got the Magpul Zhukov long handguard, ACE tube folder, Mojo rear peep sight, and an RS Regulate mount with Aimpoint T-1. Beaucoup mags and about 1K+ rounds of ammo. Good enough for me with that platform.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    Not really, at least not if you planned well during the "salad days" we've had the last several years.

I have one AK. It is a WASR with chrome lined barrel and (believe it or not) a pretty decent trigger for an AK. It's got the Magpul Zhukov long handguard, ACE tube folder, Mojo rear peep sight, and an RS Regulate mount with Aimpoint T-1. Beaucoup mags and about 1K+ rounds of ammo. Good enough for me with that platform.
    I think he means that AKs used to be cheap and everywhere and ARs were expensive and harder to get. Now a half ass AK is $700 where as ARs could be had for less (mostly pre panic but that was only a few months ago)

Or maybe I'm wrong

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post

Andy
    Like a desert, the AR landscape is pretty barren and devoid of vegetation, at least for new in the box purchases. They are out there on the secondary market, but the prices reflect supply and demand. Personally I have all I need or want because I did due diligence and got while the gettin' was good. I figured a dark age would hit sooner or later, and I planned accordingly.

My point for bringing up the AK is how that segment of the military-style weapon has been kind of ignored, especially in ammunition. I would have figured people would go ape shit nuts for 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, but its still out there and can be found. Maybe it has something do with Biden and Beto specifically mentioning the AR-15 (or AR-14)?
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by OH58D View Post
    Like a desert, the AR landscape is pretty barren and devoid of vegetation, at least for new in the box purchases. They are out there on the secondary market, but the prices reflect supply and demand. Personally I have all I need or want because I did due diligence and got while the gettin' was good. I figured a dark age would hit sooner or later, and I planned accordingly.

My point for bringing up the AK is how that segment of the military-style weapon has been kind of ignored, especially in ammunition. I would have figured people would go ape shit nuts for 7.62x39 and 5.45x39, but its still out there and can be found. Maybe it has something do with Biden and Beto specifically mentioning the AR-15 (or AR-14)?
    With regard to 5.45, I just think there are comparatively few people who have guns chambered in that caliber. When 7N6 dried up a lot of people dumped their 74s entirely. (I kept my two 5.45s though. I still have four sealed spam cans of 7N6 left myself.)
    Nowadays if you want to get into 5.45 your options aren’t that great. Arsenal imports have mostly ceased. And PSA only just brought out their 74 clone like two weeks ago.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast