Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The current AR landscape

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm concentrating on the ARs I have, simple things like better light and sling mounts, and there are some good deals on optics to be had.

I cannot imagine who is vacuuming up all the ammunition, although this shortage is more logical than .22 LR disappearing from the shelves a few years ago.

The election alone, with one candidate vowing to make "military style guns" illegal would have caused a run on black rifles and pistols, so the fact the shelves are bare is not shocking considering the pandemic-driven reduction in production, social unrest, and fears of post-election violence.

I don't like the idea of the U.S. turning into a well armed Balkans, but I certainly do not want any laws passed restricting purchases.

Like toilet paper and clorox, guns and ammunition will be back on the shelves before we know it.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm concentrating on the ARs I have, simple things like better light and sling mounts, and there are some good deals on optics to be had.

I cannot imagine who is vacuuming up all the ammunition, although this shortage is more logical than .22 LR disappearing from the shelves a few years ago.

The election alone, with one candidate vowing to make "military style guns" illegal would have caused a run on black rifles and pistols, so the fact the shelves are bare is not shocking considering the pandemic-driven reduction in production, social unrest, and fears of post-election violence.

I don't like the idea of the U.S. turning into a well armed Balkans, but I certainly do not want any laws passed restricting purchases.

Like toilet paper and clorox, guns and ammunition will be back on the shelves before we know it.

Andy
    When it comes to AR stuff I’ve been focusing mostly on spare parts to keep existing guns running or to assemble a new gun later if need be.

I believe the post Sandy Hook .22 panic actually had its origins with people grabbing it up thinking they’d just shoot .22 to save their stockpiles of centerfire ammo. But that pragmatism ended up turning into ludicrous hoarding and panic buying that ended up exceeding and outlasting the panics on 5.56, 9mm etc.
    It actually parallels the psychology of the COVID toilet paper panic almost perfectly.

The current panic is taking the form of a run of “combat calibers” (which then snowballed into a run on other stuff as time went on and people had to settle for their “plan B” guns and calibers) which makes sense as it had its genesis back in the early spring of 2020, not in response to fear of anti gun/ammo legislation, but to fears of civil unrest due to Covid-induced supply chain interruptions, which then transitioned into the riots of summer, and now we are going into an election season, so fears of legislation is rearing its head now as well.
    Plus I am starting to entertain weird conspiracy theories about stuff being bought up for the express purpose of arming third parties.

Unlike toilet paper and chlorox, I don’t expect to see the ammo situation improving for a long time. Guns themselves might start to come back, some anyway, but the ammo drought is just beginning.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    To answer you fairly and true, it’s a number of factors:

1. Gun people. Seriously, go to Barfcom on any given day. Those are the people they are referring to when saying guns are dick sublimation. Their whole lives revolve around having guns. Like a fat kid with the most GI Joes or something. And if you say anything that could be moderately construed as not being the most Republican Republican they declare you a Communist. And it’s not just losers on a website. It’s in real life. I try to avoid normies and citizens on my personal time but the sperglords and their making a big deal over guns is lame. I miss when it was still sorta underground or not that over-involved.

2. Time. I don’t have the time I did in my early 20s and even then I shoot an agency weapon and state ammo more than anything. I don’t get to enjoy my personal pile like I did. In my 20s I would take an impromptu trip to DNR land to go shoot my Colt and FN FAL. Ammo was cheap and I was carefree. Now I have to plan around it and if I have been shooting someone else’s guns and ammo; I kinda can’t be arsed to use my free time just to do more shooting. I’m middle aged now. I’ve done enough entries that it is a pain in the ass job. If I gotta burn someone down; it’s likely going to be within room or hallway distance.

3. The Black Pill of Middle Age. My interests just changed. I’m not hip anymore. I don’t get gee wow like I used to. I played Gun Pokemon and realized that I was happier with what I was used to. Like someone else, I would buy some fancy gun. Fart with it. Not bother with it. Take it out and make pew pew noises in the mirror with it. Then not bother with it. Then sell it because I preferred my AR. When I was young, I started out with a Colt, a Bushmaster, a FAL, and a Glock and was happy. I like my ARs. With little deviation. I have some toys (old Namgats, Garand, etc) but my stuff is super streamlined. I debate getting another FAL just because I liked it in the day. But I am just into my ARs. I also would rather enjoy my free time. Especially now that weather is cooler. I am happier some days just listening to my records or something than caring about guns. I also hate the inevitable political hot topic of guns. Most people at first sniff don’t think I have guns and I enjoy letting them think that.

But that said, I am still a shooter. I still try to keep in shape on it. But as for really caring about the latest mousetrap? No. No I just don’t.

Honestly I could live my last 20 years (I hope) out on this godless space rock with just my Colt and 1911 and probably not feel bad about it nor at a deficit.

That’s just me. At some point I just want an RV to go live in the desert where nobody can find or bother me.
    This is on point

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

1. Gun people. Seriously, go to Barfcom on any given day. Those are the people they are referring to when saying guns are dick sublimation. Their whole lives revolve around having guns. Like a fat kid with the most GI Joes or something. And if you say anything that could be moderately construed as not being the most Republican Republican they declare you a Communist. And it’s not just losers on a website. It’s in real life. I try to avoid normies and citizens on my personal time but the sperglords and their making a big deal over guns is lame. I miss when it was still sorta underground or not that over-involved.

2. Time. I don’t have the time I did in my early 20s and even then I shoot an agency weapon and state ammo more than anything. I don’t get to enjoy my personal pile like I did. In my 20s I would take an impromptu trip to DNR land to go shoot my Colt and FN FAL. Ammo was cheap and I was carefree. Now I have to plan around it and if I have been shooting someone else’s guns and ammo; I kinda can’t be arsed to use my free time just to do more shooting. I’m middle aged now. I’ve done enough entries that it is a pain in the ass job. If I gotta burn someone down; it’s likely going to be within room or hallway distance.

3. The Black Pill of Middle Age. My interests just changed. I’m not hip anymore. I don’t get gee wow like I used to. I played Gun Pokemon and realized that I was happier with what I was used to. Like someone else, I would buy some fancy gun. Fart with it. Not bother with it. Take it out and make pew pew noises in the mirror with it. Then not bother with it. Then sell it because I preferred my AR. When I was young, I started out with a Colt, a Bushmaster, a FAL, and a Glock and was happy. I like my ARs. With little deviation. I have some toys (old Namgats, Garand, etc) but my stuff is super streamlined. I debate getting another FAL just because I liked it in the day. But I am just into my ARs. I also would rather enjoy my free time. Especially now that weather is cooler. I am happier some days just listening to my records or something than caring about guns. I also hate the inevitable political hot topic of guns. Most people at first sniff don’t think I have guns and I enjoy letting them think that.

But that said, I am still a shooter. I still try to keep in shape on it. But as for really caring about the latest mousetrap? No. No I just don’t.

Honestly I could live my last 20 years (I hope) out on this godless space rock with just my Colt and 1911 and probably not feel bad about it nor at a deficit.

That’s just me. At some point I just want an RV to go live in the desert where nobody can find or bother me.
    I can understand this sentiment. I used to want a personal reference collection. Then I had to move for work - 4 times. Two of those times included moving a 2 ton safe and assloads of ammo. I realized that what you own truly owns you once you get above a certain point. I sold off collector grade firearms that I had in duplicate, triplicate, and worse and used the money to buy another transferable sear gun MP5. I no longer have the urge to amass a reference collection and focus more on shooting than collecting. I still have the collector bug; it’s just far more muted.

I don’t think I’ll ever lose the Swiss SIG, MP5, and transferable MG bug.
    Last edited by JoshNC; 09-23-20 at 20:20.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    Back in February (before the hysteria really kicked in) I bought a new Bushmaster M4A3 carbine from Bud's. The other day I get an auto-generated E-Mail from them saying "We want to buy your used Bushmaster!". Signs of the times.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Slater View Post
    Back in February (before the hysteria really kicked in) I bought a new Bushmaster M4A3 carbine from Bud's. The other day I get an auto-generated E-Mail from them saying "We want to buy your used Bushmaster!". Signs of the times.
    I only get those kinds of offers from car dealers - wanting to buy my used trucks they've sold me new in the past. I've owned one Bushmaster that I bought during the AWB of 1994-2004. Had a pinned collapsible stock and Mini-Y Comp. Had a smith down in Florida called Kurts Kustom Firearms replace the Mini-Y Comp with his special extended A-2 hider. Ended up selling it to fund a 6920 purchase. Now I wish I still had it just for a reliable beater for everyday prairie dog murder.
    Maj. USAR (Ret) 160th SOAR, 2/17 CAV
    NRA Life Member
    Black Mesa Ranch. Raising Fine Cattle and Horses in San Miguel County since 1879

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I did a bit more AK shooting yesterday, both 7.62 and 5.45.....and I....I...didn’t hate it. Perhaps my sabbatical away from Kalashnikovs was merely my attempt to deny my true nature, to wear the mask of a “civilized man” when the truth is that I am little more than a beast of the field. Perhaps we are all merely beasts after all.

*Slavic gangster rap music intensifies*

I ordered more 5.45x39 yesterday too...

Feedback Score

Quote Originally Posted by JoshNC View Post
    I can understand this sentiment. I used to want a personal reference collection. Then I had to move for work - 4 times. Two of those times included moving a 2 ton safe and assloads of ammo. I realized that what you own truly owns you once you get above a certain point. I sold off collector grade firearms that I had in duplicate, triplicate, and worse and used the money to buy another transferable sear gun MP5. I no longer have the urge to amass a reference collection and focus more on shooting than collecting. I still have the collector bug; it’s just far more muted.

I don’t think I’ll ever lose the Swiss SIG, MP5, and transferable MG bug.
    Argh quit describing my life! When I strip away all the bullshit, I really only enjoy shooting my bolt action rimfire rifles, especially my CZ 457s. I do not enjoy handgun shooting and honestly never have.

I like shooting my SAN rifle a lot, too, but I don't like its rarity and one-man-band supply chain. JDI really needs to sell these with spare parts packages (springs/extractor).

On a side note, anyone else actually having difficulty selling ammo? My experience in September here is that while market rates are high, actual demand at those rates is quite low.

Feedback Score
    Just turned 55 a couple weeks ago and am plotting to retire in about 5 years or so. Wife and I have talked about perhaps relocating when the time comes. That naturally got me thinking about "What would I take with us, what do I really need?" Mentally picked out a few long guns and just about all of the handguns (for some reason that made sense to have more pistols than rifles....easier to hide around the house?).

Funny when you start trying to narrow down the choices. "Okay, that one and this one." Then inevitably you ponder "Well maybe that one too. Oh, and can't forget that one". The list grows slowly. Nonetheless, I can see the following:

***2 AR carbines of mine built with top-notch parts and their optics

***My wife's 25th wedding anniversary AR carbine

***A 20" AR rifle

***Gotta have one M-14 clone

***An M-1 Carbine, just because

***A .357 lever action

***I guess one 12 gauge, as I only have one!

***Handguns

That's it. The other AR's (5.56 and 7.62), my one AK, the other M-14 clone and M-1 Carbine, probably even the Garand, all get sold. Of course I think ALL the ammo for weapons I keep will need to remain though! Basically keep enough that it fills my safe without the need for overflow racks.

It's not that I'm not interested in guns anymore, just not as "into" them as I was a few years back. Thinning out the herd will no doubt happen someday. I don't have kids so I'm not too worried about leaving them to someone.

Wife bought me a "starter" drone for my birthday. Her and I are gonna start playing with it this weekend.....of course I want to shoot Sunday too! Something not gun related for a change. Hell it'll probably end up costing me more $$$ instead of gun stuff!
    Last edited by ABNAK; 09-25-20 at 20:59.
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    The election could go ether way at this point. Trump has the support of the hardcore right. Which is not the majority of voters. The question is going to come down to turnout.

Regardless of which way it goes though, not much will change for us. People said the same thing when Obama was elected. Our gun rights were over and we were going to face another more terrifying AWB, etc, etc. Yet he didn't pass a single bit of gun control in 8 years. Nothing even came close, despite the large number of very public shootings.

On the other hand Trump ran on an extremely Pro gun platform but has actually passed gun control though the stroke of a pen and spoken out against suppressors, in favor of red flag laws, etc.

The point being that nothing much will probably happen either way because they all lie to get votes and stir up their base, but when in office won't do much so they don't piss off the opposition too much.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast