Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: So you have a new AR. How to test?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I sight it in, then run about 10 different magazines - not fully loaded. Watching for drop free, bolt hold open, etc

So... 200 rounds?

That being said, I've had a few malfunctions... enough to swear off FrogLube, steel ammo, and certain magazines (not in conjunction).
    Last edited by Caduceus; 10-25-20 at 22:19.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    good for you, Mine comes from 40yrs of usage, Vicker's comments not withstanding on this in support, with more rounds downrange than said engineers. To each their own but my sticks work just fine. That said, I could pull up a myriad of examples where 'testing' and 'engineers' have been more wrong than Biden yelling Joe on tv........

Back on point, I don't run new firearms wet, I run them dry to see if issues may arise and it's served me and others very well. Dry Lube if you want but a couple hundred rounds of dry usage will not materially damage and will allow you to see operation and issue that arise from tolerances etc..

I know everyone here is super mall ninja, weekend class, 3 gun warrior but the reality is this not rocket science and the AR really doesn't need a lot of lube at all to function well

carry on
    Wow man. I dunno which is worse. You trying to gangster check lysander of all people or your admitted boomercore, malaise era, post Vietnam era “this is just what ol Sarge said” understanding of the AR.

It’s not as difficult as it seems but also not as simple as people want to revise it to be.

Specs matter, chamber pressure matters, torque matters.

I mean it can handle more abuse than is given credit for but you shouldn’t be running it with neglect.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    We’re about due for another lube thread

chortle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    To lube or not to use...that is the question...whether it is nobler to lube....etc etc.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    This thread sure got weird.

Me personally. I've never heard nor read someone recommending running any gun sans lube of some sort. Maybe a "light" lubing, but at least some.

Thanks Lysander. Interesting read on bolt thrust.

Feedback Score
    I tend to buy BCM and/or Colt. A light cleaning, some lube, and grab some assorted mags for site in. Assuming all goes well, I’m good with the carbine. I’d say an initial outing is anywhere from 100 to 200 rounds. After that I’m fine with it.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789