Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So you have a new AR. How to test?

Feedback Score
    If you buy a quality gun, there is little need to shoot thousands of rounds to verify it works properly.

When the military buys a brand new rifle to issue to someone going into combat, you know how many rounds it has fired to "verify" proper function?

Sixty rounds.

30 in semiautomatic with 10 used to verify the accuracy and zero, and 30 in full auto to verify the reliability and measure the cyclic rate. Then it is off to someone that may have to use it in combat.

If you can't trust your rifle after one or two magazines, you might need to reconsider who you are buying from . . . .

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    Those three have never done me wrong.
    Well, if this Armalite doesn't work out that's what I'll do.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I would agree and add KAC to the list. Stay away from bottom feeder builders and you should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappabear View Post
    I think you nailed it right there. Buy BCM, LMT, Colt and you would not have these PSA nightmares. Thats just my experience.

PB
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    I would agree and add KAC to the list. Stay away from bottom feeder builders and you should be fine.
    There are a lot of manufacturers that belong on the "buy" list, and it's not too hard to find threads here that list them. Right up to the current panic we were in the golden age of the modern sporting rifle, there are more quality builders than ever.

That being said, I field strip, clean, lube, look for obvious issues, assemble, FUNCTION CHECK, and verify empty mags drop free before I hit the range.

I always load only 2 or 3 rounds the first time I shoot a new (or new to me) semi-automatic. Probably not necessary, but it's what I do. After the first "short" magazine, I zero and fire as normal.

I definitely shoot 30 (rifle) or 50 (pistol) rounds of the ammunition I have chosen for defensive use (disregard for ball). Again, probably not necessary, but it makes me more comfortable.

As far as a minimum number of rounds? I guess the above process points at about 60 rounds, but if you are really ammunition restricted, buying a quality gun is the only choice you have.

Andy

Feedback Score
    After purchasing a new (quality) firearm I field strip, clean, and lube well. Part of my break-in is sighting in. Then I just shoot the weapon as I please. After several hundred rounds with no malfunctions I’m satisfied.

Feedback Score
    Broke my new Bravo 300 in this Weekend put 100 rounds through it. Mostly to sight it in and see if I needed a h 3 buffer in the lower. Smooth, accurate and fun to shoot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Dude, I've pulled the trigger on AR15's too many times over the years to a click or dead trigger. (And watched others do the same) I do not trust them in general although I've had a few that ran well.

My last two new uppers didnt work at all. (Model 1, PSA) I've had alot of rifles, several examples of each, and AR's top the list of stoppages. I hate stoppages and refuse to accept them as routine.

I also hate trying to get a rifle with issues to work right spending time, money, and ammo and usually without results. If I get a gun that has issues I will sell it at a loss with disclosure because I'm done with that crap.

I just got a replacement Beretta Tomcat. I bought it new in 2019. Wasnt reliable for the first 500 rds. Then the frame cracked. (Not unheard of with these but they still work fine) it was reliable for about 150 rds until the slide broke. Non-functional at that point. Beretta sent me another pistol and I quickly sold it.

(Edited to add: I had JUST decided i was willing to carry this gun to protect my life literally 2 minutes before it broke. I was just going to finish a box of ammo when at about 800 rounds it catastrophically failed)

I've bought new Glocks, other pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and rifles that didnt work right over the decades.

I've only got two rifles now. They've been reliable. I want to sell one ( Beretta ARX) because I hear the aftermarket trigger in it has a problem (hammer suddenly breaks) and the factory trigger stinks. So I've got another of the other rifle coming.

I need to trust it but dont want to spend $1k in ammo testing / training with it.
    I would start by buying quality stuff to start with.
    Your luck might change if all your parts are in spec and its assembled properly.

Feedback Score
    I think of your rifle is from a reputable manufacturer, I think a basic cleaning when purchased followed by 100 to 200 rounds to test fire is more than adequate.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RWH24 View Post
    Pretty Dang Close.

Good training/practice ammo, Quality mags, go shoot 2-4 mags to set Irons or RDS or Scope.

Take it home, clean, lube and dry fire 750-1000 times over the next week. Use lower only, foam ear plug between hammer and wall where hammer would hit. Cushion the impact to a ZERO. Cycling goes faster this way than cycling the CH and using bolt to slow hammer blow. Dry fire at light fixtures, switch plates and door knobs.

https://www.brownells.com/shooting-a...prod34035.aspx

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    The reality is that a weapon at 50 rounds in many cases is a different weapon at 500 or 800 rounds of continued use. The reason you see many sticks go down in weekend warrior classes is that people do not adequately test and hard use their weapons and it shows

Military only has limited test function because armorers are there and will take over once delivered etc etc so that example is foolish. Plenty of weapons malfunction and have to go to the box for repair, etc.

run it dry initially (lube masks issues and the rifle will absolutely run fine dry), run it hard, and for the love of God run it more than a few hundred rounds of hard use in one session at minimum. Bring home, inspect, clean, lube and have at it

While a reliable platform that is now a commoditized product, I've seen plenty go down under hard use while looking great with the occasional mag or two at the range. Agree to buy quality stick or when building at home to use quality parts but that's not a guarantee for success or reliability as we've seen every manufacturer throw out some lemons. Not unheard of, uncommon, or unexpected so each stick needs to be individually assessed, not the manufacturer

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast