Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: So you have a new AR. How to test?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    The reality is that a weapon at 50 rounds in many cases is a different weapon at 500 or 800 rounds of continued use. The reason you see many sticks go down in weekend warrior classes is that people do not adequately test and hard use their weapons and it shows

Military only has limited test function because armorers are there and will take over once delivered etc etc so that example is foolish. Plenty of weapons malfunction and have to go to the box for repair, etc.

run it dry initially (lube masks issues and the rifle will absolutely run fine dry), run it hard, and for the love of God run it more than a few hundred rounds of hard use in one session at minimum. Bring home, inspect, clean, lube and have at it

While a reliable platform that is now a commoditized product, I've seen plenty go down under hard use while looking great with the occasional mag or two at the range. Agree to buy quality stick or when building at home to use quality parts but that's not a guarantee for success or reliability as we've seen every manufacturer throw out some lemons. Not unheard of, uncommon, or unexpected so each stick needs to be individually assessed, not the manufacturer
    Thanks for the advice.

Run it dry? I wouldn't expect an AR to run well dry.

I'm waiting on basic upgrades to arrive before taking it out. (Grip, stock, nothing that affects function)

Feedback Score
    1000 rounds no lube or cleaning with various types of ammo including steel. This is cumulative and not in one session unless you have the time and ammo obviously. I personally do it in 2 500 round outings. Lube masks issues and your stick should run with or without lube (obviously lube is recommended in most circumstances). Once you've done this, and it's reliably gone through with no issues then it's reliable. Brand or home build should not matter, to think otherwise is foolish and rookie thinking. I've yet to have an AR that did not pass this test except one but If say which one, the butthurt is going to be profound.
    I really wouldn't advise shooting it without lube. Just creating wear for no benefit. I clean and lube every gun before I shoot the 1st time.

For the op I'd really recommend just cleaning it and shooting it.. a lot. My 3 AR's (2 BCM's and 1 DD) I think I've had maybe 2 issues of any kind over many thousands of rounds. Good quality AR's are bet your life reliable out of the box.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    In my opinion based on years of training, teaching and witnessing AR's being used, sort through the thread and take the advice of key post or part thereof.

I would
    Do your homework, get a stock factory gun--don't add any whizzing crap to it
    Field strip, clean, inspect, lubricate
    Any where from 60-100 rounds zeroing, checking at various ranges and recheck zero when done.
    Field strip, clean, inspect, lubricate

Next range trip, take what you would carry "in the end of times fantasy" do not reapply lube from the last time

Shoot the load out however and if you make it through, you can call it golden.

In reality, you will never get the opportunity (if you want to call it that) to test it and if you did, the odds of surviving your load out in that scenario are more than likely slim to none. If you do-you won't be posting it here anyhow.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Thanks for the advice.

Run it dry? I wouldn't expect an AR to run well dry.

I'm waiting on basic upgrades to arrive before taking it out. (Grip, stock, nothing that affects function)
    I don't have a single AR that doesn't run like a champ dry and nor should you. Don't worry about wear, wear is good to a point and it's marginal during the break in process

you are running it dry for up to first 1k rounds as lube will and does mask potential issues. Anyone that says not to has no idea what they are talking about or has no real world experience. You think in the sandbox or sub freezing temps where you are in an out of temp controlled zones we'd run our sticks wet? You absolutely can run it dry and should run it dry early to see operation, fitment of parts, and break in. I believe Crane has discussed this on multiple occasions as well.

the reality is you have two kinds of ARs, those that get 500 rounds a year (mild exaggeration but you get the type) and those that are used as tools and get hard use. Someone on arfcom posted a link to a study that stated 95% of AR owners shoot less than 1k a year. Hell my 11 and 13yr old sons do that each month. I'd never trust an AR shooting 30-60 at an outing have babied it. Abuse the fker, use it hard, ride it like a worn out whore in an old cowboy town. Gotta know it will go bang every time..lol

you may not have optimal ammo so test every type through it
    you may not have lube, we've covered this already
    you may not be able to clean it when needed so you clean after inital 1k as you deem fit but need to know it'll go as needed and without proper cleaning

the one thing you can control is proper inspection of parts and that should be part of your routine for new, used, old whatever weapons.

just my humble opinion garnered over the years etc etc

that said, I wanna go shooting!!!!!
    Last edited by RUTGERS95; 09-23-20 at 10:05.

Feedback Score
    88 (100%)
    The reality is that a weapon at 50 rounds in many cases is a different weapon at 500 or 800 rounds of continued use. The reason you see many sticks go down in weekend warrior classes is that people do not adequately test and hard use their weapons and it shows

Military only has limited test function because armorers are there and will take over once delivered etc etc so that example is foolish. Plenty of weapons malfunction and have to go to the box for repair, etc.

run it dry initially (lube masks issues and the rifle will absolutely run fine dry), run it hard, and for the love of God run it more than a few hundred rounds of hard use in one session at minimum. Bring home, inspect, clean, lube and have at it

While a reliable platform that is now a commoditized product, I've seen plenty go down under hard use while looking great with the occasional mag or two at the range. Agree to buy quality stick or when building at home to use quality parts but that's not a guarantee for success or reliability as we've seen every manufacturer throw out some lemons. Not unheard of, uncommon, or unexpected so each stick needs to be individually assessed, not the manufacturer
    Armorers really don’t do shit with maintaining a weapon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sic semper tyrannis.

Feedback Score
    Best way to test it is to have your wife or kid shoot it first.

You know....in case it blows up or something.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    You think in the sandbox or sub freezing temps where you are in an out of temp controlled zones we'd run our sticks wet?
    My guys and I used lube in the “sandbox”. Not drenched, of course. For subzero temps, cold weather lube exists for a reason.

I’m not saying guns can’t run dry, just debating those two points.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    Run my AR15 dry? Nah, wouldn’t do that because I think running a mechanical device (without specialized coatings) dry would damage it. I could see a military or police unit doing that to test the weapon, then discarding or rebuilding it. But since I plan to keep the gun I buy for as long as possible, I won’t be running it dry. Maybe I don’t know what I’m talking about, because I’m not trudging across the arctic tundra or crawling through sand in a desert somewhere.

Feedback Score
    I cant remember a time when one my AR's, failed to run, and none are factory built.( OK except my 458 Socom, but that is a Frankenstein caliber anyways).

I think most people here have cover it . Just shoot it, then shoot it some more.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    The price of liberty is, always has been, and always will be blood: The person who is not willing to die for his liberty has already lost it to the first scoundrel who is willing to risk dying to violate that person's liberty! Are you free?
    --- Andrew Ford

Feedback Score
    Speaking of...

A few years ago the military was reportedly testing something called Durable Solid Lubricant. The product was applied to parts during the manufacturing process which eliminated the need to clean or lubricate the rifle while greatly reducing wear. What happened to that?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast