Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: So you have a new AR. How to test?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RMC51 View Post
    What! Are you a Democrat and not hear and see what is right in front of you.

The AR is a machine, it has moving metal parts and it needs lubrication to work correctly. Will a machine run without lubrication? Yes, for a while!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you have a low oil warning light on your car, that is a machine that needs oil also, Ar's don't have low oil warning lights. I have a generator that has a low oil cut off and will not run if it does not have oil. Maybe AR's need that feature. LOL

You need to go back and watch, and don't forget to listen this time to what Larry said. It is in the first 20-30 seconds of this copy of Tac-tv.
    I will paraphrase it for you. "No lube or very little lube, that is a myth"
    You maybe seeing apples and oranges. I see point on, The AR needs lube!!!!!!!!!!! NO oranges, run your AR lubed! Advise from a real professional, Larry Vickers.
    stop being a nanny here and try and have an adult conversation. I'd shoot myself if I was a democrat...lol

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Put the bottle down.

Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    good for you, Mine comes from 40yrs of usage, Vicker's comments not withstanding on this in support, with more rounds downrange than said engineers. To each their own but my sticks work just fine. That said, I could pull up a myriad of examples where 'testing' and 'engineers' have been more wrong than Biden yelling Joe on tv........

Back on point, I don't run new firearms wet, I run them dry to see if issues may arise and it's served me and others very well. Dry Lube if you want but a couple hundred rounds of dry usage will not materially damage and will allow you to see operation and issue that arise from tolerances etc..

I know everyone here is super mall ninja, weekend class, 3 gun warrior but the reality is this not rocket science and the AR really doesn't need a lot of lube at all to function well

carry on
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1168 View Post
    Put the bottle down.
    Bottle of lube?
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by seb5 View Post
    Bottle of lube?
    I hereby award you five internet points and a M4C Campaign Medal.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    We’re about due for another lube thread

chortle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I'm getting ready to retire and a new rack would cost too much, but fruit salad is what we do it for! Napoleon said so must be so!
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    I've not had a malfunction or any issue in many thousands of rounds with this formula:

-Magpul PMAGs (my favorite is the Gen 2 30 rounder)
    -Federal XM193
    -Lubed generously with Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil
    -Cleaning and re-lubing often
    -Only using high quality parts (Colt, BCM, DD, LMT, Spikes, USGI, CMMG, Fulton Armory)
    -Using typical configurations (Colt 6920, M16A2 clones, midlength 16" guns)

The only times I've run into issues were 3 failures to feed with Brownells and NHMTG aluminum mags, so now I only use PMAGs.

With this formula all the focus is on sighting the gun in and seeing how it shoots at speed. I don't even think about reliability.

ARs just aren't that sensitive. It's not a 1911 or a Walther PPK.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Dude, I've pulled the trigger on AR15's too many times over the years to a click or dead trigger. (And watched others do the same) I do not trust them in general although I've had a few that ran well.

My last two new uppers didnt work at all. (Model 1, PSA) I've had alot of rifles, several examples of each, and AR's top the list of stoppages. I hate stoppages and refuse to accept them as routine.

I also hate trying to get a rifle with issues to work right spending time, money, and ammo and usually without results. If I get a gun that has issues I will sell it at a loss with disclosure because I'm done with that crap.

I just got a replacement Beretta Tomcat. I bought it new in 2019. Wasnt reliable for the first 500 rds. Then the frame cracked. (Not unheard of with these but they still work fine) it was reliable for about 150 rds until the slide broke. Non-functional at that point. Beretta sent me another pistol and I quickly sold it.

(Edited to add: I had JUST decided i was willing to carry this gun to protect my life literally 2 minutes before it broke. I was just going to finish a box of ammo when at about 800 rounds it catastrophically failed)

I've bought new Glocks, other pistols, revolvers, shotguns, and rifles that didnt work right over the decades.

I've only got two rifles now. They've been reliable. I want to sell one ( Beretta ARX) because I hear the aftermarket trigger in it has a problem (hammer suddenly breaks) and the factory trigger stinks. So I've got another of the other rifle coming.

I need to trust it but dont want to spend $1k in ammo testing / training with it.
    I've seen thousands of people using ARs at the range over the years with no malfunctions. Something is goofy if you question them that much.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Around 1995 I had a Bushmaster Carbine 10.5 barrel plus a 5.5” weld on flash suppressor. I shot the shit out of that rifle. At about 1500 rounds it went single shot. Gas key came loose. This was before this forum and good information about proper specs. Start with a properly built rifle and it should eliminate most issues.
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It has to be fought for and defended by each generation."
    Ronald Wilson Reagan

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by RUTGERS95 View Post
    good for you, Mine comes from 40yrs of usage, Vicker's comments not withstanding on this in support, with more rounds downrange than said engineers. To each their own but my sticks work just fine. That said, I could pull up a myriad of examples where 'testing' and 'engineers' have been more wrong than Biden yelling Joe on tv........

Back on point, I don't run new firearms wet, I run them dry to see if issues may arise and it's served me and others very well. Dry Lube if you want but a couple hundred rounds of dry usage will not materially damage and will allow you to see operation and issue that arise from tolerances etc..

I know everyone here is super mall ninja, weekend class, 3 gun warrior but the reality is this not rocket science and the AR really doesn't need a lot of lube at all to function well

carry on
    You’re new here. You just replied to a post that referenced a published Army test looking at the topic you’re refuting. You may also want to have a look at lysander’s posts over the years and you will see that he knows of what he speaks when it comes to the mechanics and kinematics of the AR15/M16.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast