Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: S&W 19 & 66

Feedback Score

S&W 19 & 66

This morning a few friends from our shooting club and I were invited to a shooting challenge organised by the shooting society of the Lausanne police corps (Lausanne being a city in Switzerland).

We shot, had a good time, decent result. Then one of our guys says he has to go to the LGS which is literally 3 miles from the shooting range to pick a Sig P226 Legion he had ordered. Yep we’ll all go with him, who doesn’t like to roam around a gun shop, and we had a couple hours to kill before lunch.

Due to Covid, only two people were allowed in the shop at the same time (plus the three employees). After a fair bit of waiting time (paperwork being filled in for my friend) it was my time to go in and take a peak. I had not been in that shop for quite a while, and remembered they sold mostly modern new tactical stuff I have little interest for, so I thought I’d be safe since I had no intention to buy more guns this month.

Except that in a cabinet I saw those two

A 19-3 6” and a 66 no dash 4”, both p&r

Can I take a closer look please ?

The 19

The 66

I was hooked but I had one more line of defence : bargaining. I know that this LGS prouds itself of having some of the lowest prices in the country and hates it when customers haggle.

So I asked what price he’d do if I buy both. He said the addition of the two prices, no rebate. That’s a little over $ 1600. I asked again and he declined to do a gesture again, elaborating that those older Smith literally fly of the shelves when priced right, which is true.

The last one he had similar to those was gone after four days, and the 19 had just come in a few days earlier (upon checking he saw it came in yesterday).

So I developed my final argument, that it was not just about the economics of that particular deal but also about really pleasing the customer and turning a walk-in into a repeat customer. I mentioned another LGS I discovered recently, where I did some multiple purchases and always got a deal, ending with 12 guns or so bought there since February.

He relented and mentioned he didn’t want to be a d**k, gave me a $ 110 rebate, just above $ 1500 for both. I really tried hard not to buy them, since I was determined to walk out if I didn’t get a deal. Oh well, waiting for the permit now

Last edited by OLIAR15; 09-19-20 at 17:14.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have the same 66. Came with box, papers, tools, even the wax paper. Early style stainless rear sights. Bought it used but doesn't look like it was shot. Maybe the previous owner put 6 rounds through it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Look to me you gotta Model 18-3...both good snags. I'm a big fan of the older P&R rigs.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    As Artos mentions- the 18-3, 6" is a .38, not .357.
    A lovely old P&R Smith nonetheless.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    It’s just an optical illusion

There’s a bare metal spot from stamping on the right side of the “9” and some dirt/grease on the left side of the “9” giving the impression the loop is closed and making it resemble an “8”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a S&W M18, it's a 4" .22 long rifle.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    ^^You are correct of course.
    My mistake, think I confused it with the mod 15.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    ^^You are correct of course.
    My mistake, think I confused it with the mod 15.
    Easy to do with Smith's multitude of variations.

Feedback Score
    The recessed chambers generally indicate a magnum.
    For the OP, nice catches...been drifting to Model 10s and 64s, just because.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    They recessed all their chambers & pinned all their barrels until the cost saving measures came into play...magnums had nothing to do with it.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."
    Japanese Admiral Yamamoto, 1941

"A wise man's heart directs him toward the right, but a foolish man's heart directs him toward the left."
    Ecclesiastes 10:2:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast