Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double feed cause and did I clear this correctly?

Feedback Score

Double feed cause and did I clear this correctly?

I was doing a US Arms competition Thursday and in 1 stage my previously rock solid Daniel Defense with a few thousand rounds through it had a misfeed. I rack the charging handle to clear it and another round feeds in partially. I eject the magazine and both rounds are partially in chamber. I put my finger up the mag well and cleared both out. Obviously that stage was fckd but wondering if that was the best way to clear the jam? It was with M193 ammo and gen 3 Magpul magazine. The rifle is all factory DD. This was the first time I've seen this type of jam in years of Marines and shooting. Wondering what caused it and what's the best way to clear it. Thanks

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    It's usually and extraction/ejections or a mag problem. I don't quite understand your description. Was there an empty and a live round in the upper at the same time or was it 2 live rounds?

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TomMcC View Post
    It's usually and extraction/ejections or a mag problem. I don't quite understand your description. Was there an empty and a live round in the upper at the same time or was it 2 live rounds?
    This. Two live rounds or empty case and live round would go a long way to diagnosing the cause.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    It was 2 live rounds both partially in chamber.. 1 above the other. Both maybe 1/4 in chamber.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Ok. Thanks.

Keep an eye on that magazine. That’s a true double feed and that is usually a magazine issue.
    AQ planned for years and sent their A team to carry out the attacks, and on Flight 93 they were thwarted by a pick-up team made up of United Frequent Fliers. Many people look at 9/11 and wonder how we can stop an enemy like that. I look at FL93 and wonder, "How can we lose?". -- FromMyColdDeadHand

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Yesh, sounds like a mag feed lip issue...many rounds on that mag?

With 2 rounds floating around in the upper. I would lock the bolt back, rip the mag, clear the double feed from the mag well, insert a fresh mag and drop the bolt.
    Last edited by TomMcC; 10-10-20 at 12:17.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ggammell View Post
    Ok. Thanks.

Keep an eye on that magazine. That’s a true double feed and that is usually a magazine issue.
    M*Carbo makes a stronger mag spring which they claim will fix 70% of feed problems. It fixed 100% of mine. I have them in all my 30 round mags.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

I know this sounds like a moronic solution but believe me, it is worth its weight in gold.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    M*Carbo makes a stronger mag spring which they claim will fix 70% of feed problems. It fixed 100% of mine. I have them in all my 30 round mags.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ar-15-extra-p...ag-spring.aspx

I know this sounds like a moronic solution but believe me, it is worth its weight in gold.
    So Magpul mag springs are insufficient? Maybe his mag / spring is worn?

Serious question.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A stronger spring might fix a fail to pickup failure, but I would think it would exacerbate a round popping out of the feed lips situation. I'm not sure that this a round popping issue, so it's just speculation.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    The issue is that the 1st mis-fed round didn’t get cleared because it probably wasn’t chambered, meaning the extractor couldn’t do its job and left it behind. So when the OP racked the bolt back, he picked up a second round and it also got jammed in there.

OP, what ammo were you shooting?

Sent from 80ms in the future

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast