Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Offset RDS as primary, FSB secondary?

Feedback Score
    When I used a RDS and co-witnessed it, I lost my cheek weld. Then I got a riser to make up for that. One day I went back to just irons without the riser and it was not only just as fast, it was more accurate. The RDS is a crutch but when people dump $700-900.00 on a crutch, they psychologically justify it as an improvement. If you practice with the irons, it is just as fast You don't need no stinkin' crutch.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Mmmmmhum.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    Worth watching on the subject of canting your rifle...

Sage Dynamics did a good video on that as well, though I don't think he showed the groups. Maybe, I don't remember that part.

He had a great tip for zeroing your offset. If you have a 45^ mount that keeps your optic inline with the bore when canted, if you have 45^ m-lok slots on your handguard you can put a bipod on the opposite angle of your red dot to zero it. Keeping it nice and level.

Pretty neat trick I thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I dont think its fast(er) to have an offset RDS, you can be just as fast with practice but you would need to get used to using an offset sight when switching shoulders.

Not to mention it would completely mess with my concept from aiming "mag side high" when rolling the gun.

Basically your concept would needlessly complicate things for what is essentially an emergency scenario that is unlikely to happen in the first place. Im a firm believer in optimizing your set up for the 99% of situations and having a reasonable plan for the 1% of things going sideways.
    Pretty much this ^^

And I don't find the FSB to be an issue at all on any of my RDS guns. You can hold your head a little high and easily get good view. I definitely do this on closer range, faster shooting.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bullseye View Post
    When I used a RDS and co-witnessed it, I lost my cheek weld. Then I got a riser to make up for that. One day I went back to just irons without the riser and it was not only just as fast, it was more accurate. The RDS is a crutch but when people dump $700-900.00 on a crutch, they psychologically justify it as an improvement. If you practice with the irons, it is just as fast You don't need no stinkin' crutch.
    Nope.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    When I used a RDS and co-witnessed it, I lost my cheek weld. Then I got a riser to make up for that. One day I went back to just irons without the riser and it was not only just as fast, it was more accurate.
    Please leave red dot vs iron sights for another thread. I am trying to follow your progression here; if the co-witnessed RDS was too low without a riser then the iron sights at the same height are also too low. What changed?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Please leave red dot vs iron sights for another thread. I am trying to follow your progression here; if the co-witnessed RDS was too low without a riser then the iron sights at the same height are also too low. What changed?
    If I'm not mistaken I believe he means lower 1/3rd cowitness. I'd assume due to his facial structure he doesn't get a solid cheek weld with the slightly higher optic but does with irons.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HA! Okay, I guess. That makes no sense to me.

RDS is no crutch, it's a game changer. Low light, on the move, rapid transitions between targets, etc. Good accuracy with both eyes open is an advantage.

Welcome to the 21st century.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    Referencing statements from recent threads.

Placing a red dot sight in-line with FSB irons partially occludes the view through the RDS and leaves the view of the irons vulnerable to fogging. For this combination (RDS & FSB iron sights) would it be better to place the RDS on an offset mount? I haven't used offset sights yet but if as Valhalla wrote it "is [as] fast, if not faster, than a RDS at 12 o'clock" it seems appealing. Would it cause problems for barricade shooting, urban prone, etc.? Are there solutions for these apart from reverting to the iron sights?
    Partially occluding the RDS doesn't matter. As long as you have two good eyes and are shooting the red dot with both eyes focused on the target like you should, the irons don't get in the way. The size of the window of the red dot doesn't matter either. You can even shoot with the front cap on the red dot and make hits. Look up "occluded eye gunsite" I have always had standing front and rear irons in line with my red dot, they are in a different plane of focus and don't get in the way. I sometimes see these threads about the size of the window and how it occludes your view, that's all bull, people who make those threads aren't shooting a red dot the right way. The exception is if ypu have limited vision, for example my dad's eyes cannot work together, so in that case they might have a point. But with two good eyes and the right sighting technique, both your eyes open and focused on the target, your brain fuses the two images together, and irons, viewing window sizes, even a front cap on the red dot, don't matter.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
    Partially occluding the RDS doesn't matter. As long as you have two good eyes and are shooting the red dot with both eyes focused on the target like you should, the irons don't get in the way. The size of the window of the red dot doesn't matter either. You can even shoot with the front cap on the red dot and make hits. Look up "occluded eye gunsite" I have always had standing front and rear irons in line with my red dot, they are in a different plane of focus and don't get in the way. I sometimes see these threads about the size of the window and how it occludes your view, that's all bull, people who make those threads aren't shooting a red dot the right way. The exception is if ypu have limited vision, for example my dad's eyes cannot work together, so in that case they might have a point. But with two good eyes and the right sighting technique, both your eyes open and focused on the target, your brain fuses the two images together, and irons, viewing window sizes, even a front cap on the red dot, don't matter.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...d-Eye-Gunsight

For some folks, occluded eye sights can work well. For others, not so much, despite having seemingly healthy eyes.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast