Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Offset MRDS on optic: Am I doing this right...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I need to mount my LPVO so I can try this out as it looks to have some merit.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Furbyballer View Post
    Grab an arisaka offset mount with the correct plate for your MRDS. They work awesome and weigh almost nothing. They give you 30deg and 45deg mounting options as well.
    Arisaka makes the best I've seen.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    If you mount it any way other than illustrated in this picture
    Came a little late and didn't see photo/illustrations, but there are simple solutions to both points.

never shoot to the point of aim at any range other than the distance it is zeroed at.
    That only happens if you use it "wrong". With OP's setup, he would first rotate the gun until the dot is directly above bore, then zero the RDS with the gun in that orientation. Because that's how the gun should normally be fired at. As long as you keep the dot directly above bore, the ballistic will work exactly the same way as any traditional optic setup. Aka the bullets will hit exactly how everyone expects them to hit, without any funny business regardless of distance.

it will be a bitch to zero
    To zero, position the gun as stated in #1, and then simply rotate the TARGET so it's orientation matches the MRDS. Then zero as usual.

Our site is currently down (targeted ransomware attack) so I can't direct-link photos, but here is an IG post utilizing the same concept, except we matched the sight-height over bore for you already and the optic is exactly at 90 degrees when used (so it zeros super easy):

https://www.instagram.com/p/CE9_ttQJM-0/

Cheers,

Valhalla Tactical
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Any concerns with this setup?
    Nope!! No concerns at all. In fact that is our recommendation if anyone were to use a clamp-on type piggyback mount that holds to the "tube" of any optic. Put the MRDS at roughly 4 o'clock, tweak it until it perfectly matches sight-height over bore, and go to town. Your cheekweld will never have to change between using the two optics, and every time you flip back from MRDS to your main optic, you'd find your eye automagically positioned correctly in the eye-box... that alone will make you wonder why people would ever do it any other way.

VT
    Official Account for ValhallaTactical.com. Clever designs for intelligent marksmen.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla View Post
    Came a little late and didn't see photo/illustrations, but there are simple solutions to both points.
    It was your illustration I used in my post, and it's invisible now because as noted your site is down. I saved a copy; mind if I upload and link it?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    It was your illustration I used in my post, and it's invisible now because as noted your site is down. I saved a copy; mind if I upload and link it?
    Oh yes!! That would be fantastic!!!

I am very sorry if I jumped the gun, but it looks like we have been on the same page from the very beginning.

VT

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    edited into original post

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    This is probably a stupid question, but doesn't the offset MRDS/RDS get the crap beat out of it?

I am running a 2.5-10 optic on one AR and it seems a natural for an offset RDS/MRDS (if it was a "hard use" gun).

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-01-20 at 17:08.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12