Obama didn't want Garland confirmed.

Obama didn't do anything to get Garland confirmed.

Garland was an election ploy to help Dem Senate candidates.

These are the only facts that matter in relation to 2016.

Garland was a false nominee that Obama didn't really want on the court. He knew the Mitch wouldn't confirm anyone if he didn't face a lot of pressure. So Obama puts up Garland and then does nothing- literally nothing- to get his nomination to proceed. What they did do is use Garland as a tool against swing state GOP senate candidates. Obama, and everyone, knew that HRC was going to win and end up appointing someone of her own choosing. RBG was holding on to be replaced by a woman, nominated by the first woman POTUS.

Opps.

That all blew up in their faces. Maybe not getting Thomas to resign last year will blow up in our faces.

We all know that in the reverse, the Dems would be pushing hard.

I am also getting a little tired of these nearly terroristic threats that if Trump does this, that democracy is 'endangered' and who knows what will happen. They thinly veil these threats of violence, then transfer that onto the GOP, and cry foul again.

Frankly, I'd take that seat on SCOTUS even if it costs us POTUS and the Senate. SCOTUS picks are like chess Queens that are almost immortal. If we can get a true majority, even for 5-10 years, that could be key.

Also, the Dems have to be pressed for if they would vote to expand SCOTUS. I know those promises don't mean anything, but if they say no, they piss off their base. If they say 'yes' that puts them on a pretty fringe and nasty viewpoint. Popular with their lefty side, but would show that they are all about the power by any means.