Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Right Stuff, new Disney Plus series

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)

The Right Stuff, new Disney Plus series

I loved the '83 movie, and I read the book about once a year. It airs October 9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb4puwLttn0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Og0htvEVqJQ&t=4s

Feedback Score
    I loved the movie. As a kid raised on an Air Force base, the book and movie really inspired me. I would like to see this series, but I need another subscription channel like I need another hole in my head, and I sort of have a hard time giving Disney anymore of my money.
    Dr. Carter G. Woodson, “History shows that it does not matter who is in power or what revolutionary forces take over the government, those who have not learned to do for themselves and have to depend solely on others never obtain any more rights or privileges in the end than they had in the beginning.”

Feedback Score
    I've read the book and seen the movie a few times. To be perfectly honest, I thought the astronauts were A-holes. The part I'm drawn to again and again is Chuck Yeager's story. Maybe because my grandfather not only looked like him, but was from Western New York and sounded like him. Chuck Yeager had more bad-ass in his little finger than the astronauts combined.

Chuck Yeager has a twitter account. Imagine that.

I re-read the parts about the sound barrier and the F104 flight over and over.

I'll watch it, I like space, NASA and the astronauts. It's not that I don't like the astronauts, though the only one now I can name is Kelly- it's just that Yeager is the top of the pyramid...
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    This looks promising!!

If you've been to the Cape and the museum there you can stand and look up at the puny little Mercury 7 rocket....and you just realize.....yes, these men had the right stuff. I just thought, "They shot a guy up into orbit on little more than a big fire cracker."
    Last edited by JWill1776; 09-22-20 at 15:30.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Please keep the thread about the show, there are more than enough others with current events and outrage.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    Just a shout-out for the original book...masterfully done. I think the original movie is going to be hard to beat, but .... love this history and era.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FromMyColdDeadHand View Post
    I've read the book and seen the movie a few times. To be perfectly honest, I thought the astronauts were A-holes. The part I'm drawn to again and again is Chuck Yeager's story. Maybe because my grandfather not only looked like him, but was from Western New York and sounded like him. Chuck Yeager had more bad-ass in his little finger than the astronauts combined.

Chuck Yeager has a twitter account. Imagine that.

I re-read the parts about the sound barrier and the F104 flight over and over.

I'll watch it, I like space, NASA and the astronauts. It's not that I don't like the astronauts, though the only one now I can name is Kelly- it's just that Yeager is the top of the pyramid...
    Define western NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yeager was born and raised in West Virginia. The fascinating thing about just how influential Yeager has been is that nearly every pilot following him adopted his "aw, shucks, unflappable" communication style and so even those pre-flight announcements you hear from many pilates are Yeager-influenced, the manner of speech, a lilt to the voice, a "don't worry about anything, I've got it under control" ... well portrayed in the movie.

And in the movie, if you recall, toward the end Gordo Cooper is asked "whose the greatest pilot that ever was" ... he would routinely answer, "You're looking at him" but at that moment he paused and said, "You know, there was a pilot back..." and was interrupted, then the movie cuts away to Yeager still tearing across the sky, pushing the outside of that envelope, and in this case, he almost died testing the NF-104 to try to set an altitude record, and ... well, here's the story:

http://www.chuckyeager.org/nf-104-crash/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmuscle View Post
    Define western NY?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like west of Buffalo, with out your hat floating...

There is something about roughly I-79 corridor, with German ancestors. Work with your hands and work your way up. Grandpa had a second job as a butcher, was a skilled woood worker, ended up a non-degreed engineer on natural gas pipelines. Could fix anything, which was good because after a few beers he could break anything. Ran away from home and joined the Army and was in the 82nd, but the war ended. He WAS Archie Bunker and grandma was Edith. In his later years he made sure female engineers got a fair shake and mentored a bunch to get higher than he had. He taught me how to use a table saw and when people piss you off to tell them ‘if I wanted crap out of you, I’d squeeze your head.

He didn’t ‘twang’ quite as much as Yeager, but he had the same tone and tempo.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JWill1776 View Post
    Just a shout-out for the original book...masterfully done. I think the original movie is going to be hard to beat, but .... love this history and era.
    The book is great; one of very few I read once a year or so. I am a huge space/NASA nut, and I love the early Mercury stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast