Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by fedupflyer View Post
    According to a Dillon rep, their 223 dies are small base.
    Yeah. I've never had any issues with my Dillon Carbide die, but I run it on my single stage. With the volume of .223 I squeeze down, the carbide die is worth its weight in gold. I just runs smoother.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I've been reloading since 1986 or 1987. I knew ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about reloading when I first began and had no one I knew or was available to teach or mentor me, I was 100% on my own. Accordingly made a few errors and a few involving as many as 30 to 40 HG reloads (thankfully had my reloading process down stone cold by the time I started to reload rifle) But I can say with complete honesty all my reloaded ammo that has made it to the range has been 100% as reliable as all the factory ammo I have shot.
    I have never used factory HP rifle ammo to hunt with only 100% of my own reloads.

There is no secret or magic involved in making 100% reliable ammo be it HG or rifle. 100% reliable ammo is the result of keeping your focus and keeping your reloading procedure and methodology as absolutely simple as possible. There are four rules I fallow above all others that are the most important rules and I fallow them without exception.

#1_NEVER be in any degree of a hurry. I take my time and do all reloading in steps and check every piece of brass at certain steps, like when primed, then when charged with powder then after bullet is seated.
    #2-NEVER multitask perform only one reloading step at a time. Yes I perform multiple reloading tasks per reloading session but NEVER more than one at a time. Other reloads can multitask, I can not.
    #3-NEVER ever ever have more than one different powder, primer or bullet out on your reloading bench at any time no exceptions ever whatsoever. As a matter of fact I store all my primers, powder and bullets in separate cabinets and only take out that single specific needed bullet, primer or powder I will specifically use to reload with for that session.
    #4-Check EVERY reloaded round to be 100% positive it will fit in the chamber using a chamber checker. For HG I have one that checks 100 loaded rounds at a time. For 223 its 7 at a time. For my Hunting rifles I use the rifle chamber itself. Sure wish some one would come up with a 223 chamber gauge that checks 20 at a time 50 even better.
    Last edited by DMTJAGER; 05-19-21 at 18:01.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I pretty much break all of your rules to some degree. Not flagrantly, but to some extent. No way would I be able to chamber check/gauge my .223 ammo. My .223 loading is so tedious, there's never a chambering issue.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I started reloading in 1985, using a Lee single stage press to load 9mm. Took over 1 1/2hrs to make a 50rd box. A year later, went to a Lee turret press, made about 120-150rds an hr. I still have that press. Prob 15yrs ago, got a dillon rl550b, makes 400-500rds per hr, depending on caliber, and how hard you work it. I don't know how many rounds i've loaded. I've loaded 38 spl, 9mm, 357 mag, 44 mag, 44 amp, 45 acp, 45 colt, 30 carbine, 30-30 winchester, 7.62x39, 308, 45-70, 20 GA, and 12 GA. In blackpowder cartridges, i've loaded 38 S&W, 357 mag, 45 colt, 58 berdan, 12 GA, and 10 GA. I even tried to make a BP 30-30 cartridge that worked. I've loaded cast, plated, and jacketed bullets. I've cast bullets for 38/357, 45 colt, 30-30, 58 berdan, and 36 and 44 Cal percussion revolvers.
    I've loaded the "non-reloadable" steel cases.

Everything has been accurate and reliable, excepting a few odd experiments.

If you know little or nothing about reloading, get a book, read it, or find a friend who does, and makes good ammo. You want to see him shoot it. All data books i've seen have instructions in them. Follow the data books, don't get fancy. Work up to max loads carefully, follow the "signs of pressure to look for". You can load quickly, but don't push yourself. Don't do dumb sh!t, like load when you're fighting sleep, or while drinking. Pay attention to details, powders may look the same, but not be. Jacketed vs lead loads are different to an extent.
    As for checking your loads, it depends. Pistol ammo, I check them all until it's where I want, but I work into it, so I don't have a bunch of useless rounds. Rifle, the same. After, I check at 5 a few times, at 10 or 20 a couple times, and roll on, checking every so often. For something like the bolt gun for accuracy, I watch them closely. I may be trickle charging, there is no hurry with that.

If you chamber check every single one, no need for a progressive press, you'll burn the time checking.
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 05-20-21 at 16:46.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I pretty much break all of your rules to some degree. Not flagrantly, but to some extent. No way would I be able to chamber check/gauge my .223 ammo. My .223 loading is so tedious, there's never a chambering issue.
    I didn't either until my boys started shooting my reloads out of my HG's and 9mm and 223 rifles so I felt checking each round was no longer an option.

Feedback Score
    If you chamber check every single one, no need for a progressive press, you'll burn the time checking.
    Last edited by Gunfixr; Today at 16:46.

Should have been a little more spacific
    I personally don't check every one of the reloaded rounds I have usually both my sons and always at least one on hand doing it as I produce the loaded rounds.
    They then place them in properly labeled ammo boxes.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    My biggest issue is loose primer pockets. Most of my .223 is mixed brass so loose pockets sneak in and a primer will pop out every so often. I don't load very hot ammo for target use, and cull most of my loose pocket brass, but that's my only occasional issue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thought I would check in and get the forums input.

I just started reloading for 9mm. Holy cow it's so much easier to reload than 223. My new favorite to load for. My press is a lee auto breech lock pro, using the lee perfect powder measure. On 223 (H335) the powder measure has been 100%. However loading on 9mm (N320) I have noticed a few small charges. I was able to catch the ones that didn't throw any powder; but practicing this weekend I got a few light charges that didn't cycle fully. Thankfully no squibs, but does anyone have any advice for getting more reliable pistol powder charges? Im even down to buy a new powder thrower if it's not crazy prices. I actually wouldn't mind having a powder thrower for rifle and then another optimized for pistol?

Let me know what you dudes think.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Thought I would check in and get the forums input.

I just started reloading for 9mm. Holy cow it's so much easier to reload than 223. My new favorite to load for. My press is a lee auto breech lock pro, using the lee perfect powder measure. On 223 (H335) the powder measure has been 100%. However loading on 9mm (N320) I have noticed a few small charges. I was able to catch the ones that didn't throw any powder; but practicing this weekend I got a few light charges that didn't cycle fully. Thankfully no squibs, but does anyone have any advice for getting more reliable pistol powder charges? Im even down to buy a new powder thrower if it's not crazy prices. I actually wouldn't mind having a powder thrower for rifle and then another optimized for pistol?

Let me know what you dudes think.
    I love the hornady powder measure. Never had an issue.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    My biggest issue is loose primer pockets. Most of my .223 is mixed brass so loose pockets sneak in and a primer will pop out every so often. I don't load very hot ammo for target use, and cull most of my loose pocket brass, but that's my only occasional issue.
    I also get some loose primer pockets, but I use a hand primer, so I normally catch them before I load and fire the cases.

I have reloaded one batch of .223/5.56 enough that I am getting neck splits on the fired cases. I am obviously overworking/work hardening the brass. Removing primer crimps is enough of an inconvenience that I tend to reload the same cases over and over.

I have plenty of once-fired brass, I just have to bite the bullet and de-crimp more cases.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 08-02-21 at 07:34.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast