Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you're using full-length size dies you're probably on the ragged edge of chambering and risking a slam-fire.

Why?

The bolt carrier group is stripping/feeding, loading, chambering, and locking a round by force -- the inertia of the bolt carrier group and buffer slamming that sucker home.

You're having to mortar an un-fired round out because it was jammed in there. If it wasn't for the drag on the cartridges from the feed lips and magazine spring from the bottom, an inertia firing pin can set the round off if it's got enough running speed once the bolt locks.

Happened to me during standing practice at Quantico. Replaced my Dillon die with an RCBS Small Base in 2000.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post

I'm assuming you are trimming your cases to length.
    I wouldn’t. Not trimming would be my first guess.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taliv View Post
    I wouldn’t. Not trimming would be my first guess.
    It's possible, but the brass would have to be REALLY long, or the chamber leade REALLY short. I remember Black Hills reman ammo used to have super long brass. And no one ever had any problems with it.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Dunno. But I HATE trimming. Even with the giraud when you’re doing 1000 rounds it just sucks and I never liked the Dillon setup that goes on the 1050. So I have oft been tempted to skip that step when loading plinking ammo that I’m not going to use in class or match. Mostly I buy once fired brass off police or prison ranges, all same headstamp. I can usually shoot it once before I have problems. Second reload (3rd firing of the brass) I usually start seeing the issue. Couple rounds out of 1000 will stick. Trimming always fixes it. I never adjust the die to size more. Third reload I start seeing a lot more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I trim every single case that is longer than 1.760, thought everybody did.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I put every case through the trimmer. A quick buzz and you know right away if it needed trimming. Adds a bit of time to the process but at least I know it’s one area where I have consistency.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Dunno. But I HATE trimming. Even with the giraud when you’re doing 1000 rounds it just sucks
    Trimming is worst on once fired mil/LC brass that stretches out. After that, the Giraud just kissed the necks and puts a nice chamfer for easier bullet seating.

I never adjust the die to size more.
    That's good. You shouldn't. It would lead to possible case separation which can be a pain to clear if you don't have a case remover or chamber brush in your gear bag.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I trim every time. I load with a Dillon 650 using two separate toolheads. On my prep toolhead I size, trim, and use a mandrel die to expand the necks. My accurate loads get chamfered and deburred before loading, but the rest do not.

Between the size & trim every time, and seating with a micrometer die that fully supports the case, I rarely have a round fail a case gauge.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    The only issue I have had was when I loaded a 100 or so rounds of 5.56 ammunition with too long an AOL. I got to tear that batch down and re-load them.

I have a factory loaded (bulk) 9mm that was never crimped and won't chamber and another with no flash hole between the primer pocket and primer.

As long as you are attentive, reloads are reliable.

Andy
    I check every 5th round for OAL as I set them in the plastic carrier, that way I don't have to go back through a bunch to correct problems.

As long as you take your time & develop a rhythm while you hand load, your reloads will be much more consistent & reliable.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister View Post
    Replaced my Dillon die with an RCBS Small Base in 2000.
    According to a Dillon rep, their 223 dies are small base.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast