Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Thought I would check in and get the forums input.

I just started reloading for 9mm. Holy cow it's so much easier to reload than 223. My new favorite to load for. My press is a lee auto breech lock pro, using the lee perfect powder measure. On 223 (H335) the powder measure has been 100%. However loading on 9mm (N320) I have noticed a few small charges. I was able to catch the ones that didn't throw any powder; but practicing this weekend I got a few light charges that didn't cycle fully. Thankfully no squibs, but does anyone have any advice for getting more reliable pistol powder charges? Im even down to buy a new powder thrower if it's not crazy prices. I actually wouldn't mind having a powder thrower for rifle and then another optimized for pistol?

Let me know what you dudes think.
    n320 should meter like a champ, it does in my Dillon powder measure.
    You might try putting a drier sheet in the powder hopper, wrapping it around the inside of measure. The issue MAY be static electricity. I am not familiar with the Lee Powder Measure however.

I have an RCBS measure I use for small batch stuff, it is quite accurate.
    https://www.rcbs.com/priming-and-pow...asure/205.html
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thought I would check in and get the forums input.

I just started reloading for 9mm. Holy cow it's so much easier to reload than 223. My new favorite to load for. My press is a lee auto breech lock pro, using the lee perfect powder measure. On 223 (H335) the powder measure has been 100%. However loading on 9mm (N320) I have noticed a few small charges. I was able to catch the ones that didn't throw any powder; but practicing this weekend I got a few light charges that didn't cycle fully. Thankfully no squibs, but does anyone have any advice for getting more reliable pistol powder charges? Im even down to buy a new powder thrower if it's not crazy prices. I actually wouldn't mind having a powder thrower for rifle and then another optimized for pistol?

Let me know what you dudes think.
    What bullet weight and charge weight with the N320?

A few fairly educated guesses.
    The H335 is small round balls which usually meter very well.

I have not used N320, but I have never had an issue with N340 or N350 in Lee measures. I am assuming the N320 is similar in shape(maybe size) to 340 and 350. Since the 320 is faster burning that means smaller charges and that(combined with stick shape) can jack with Lee drums sometimes. If you are using start loads maybe try increasing charge weight(watching for pressure signs) or if you are running 147gr or more try a lighter bullet which uses a larger charge.

Feedback Score
    However loading on 9mm (N320) I have noticed a few small charges. I was able to catch the ones that didn't throw any powder; but practicing this weekend I got a few light charges that didn't cycle fully.

Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    n320 should meter like a champ, it does in my Dillon powder measure.
    I've never used N320, but it's about impossible (barring gross negligence on my part) for my Dillon powder measure NOT to throw a charge...

N320 is extruded, which might be problematic... I use flake or ball powders, which all meter better.

Quote Originally Posted by jsbhike View Post
    What bullet weight and charge weight with the N320?

If you are using start loads maybe try increasing charge weight(watching for pressure signs) or if you are running 147gr or more try a lighter bullet which uses a larger charge.
    This... What are your MV, ES, and SD, and how heavy are your bullets?

It sounds like maybe you're simply at the ragged edge of loading too light...

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This... What are your MV, ES, and SD, and how heavy are your bullets?

It sounds like maybe you're simply at the ragged edge of loading too light...
    My charge was 3.9 gr of N320 resulting in 1050 FPS with a 124gr berry's plated bullet.

It's making minor PF, and isn't the bottom of the charge weight either. Bottom charge from the powder maker was 3.5 gr.

I think my powder thrower really is randomly throwing a light charge. I loaded up the last I had of those bullets and pulled another couple from the progressive that looked light. I'm using this ammunition for gun games, so I dont super care if it messes up, but I would like to get my press dialed in reliably.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011