Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    Like the others have already said, yes you can get great results from handloads. The numbers you plan on doing makes for a great no rush weekend session. Do it in stages like the others have said. Resize and decap in a couple of minutes. I wet tumble to clean and while they are tumbling I go do something else like cut the grass, wash the car. Then hand prime and set into loading blocks while watching tv. Lastly throw powder and seat projectiles. Ive used a single stage for thirty years ten different calibers thousands of rounds without problems. Start with good habits and pay attention. Advantages to doing it this way is that you get at least three chances to inspect casings for quality control prior to final assembly and the ability to get the most accuracy out of your particular weapon with some test and tune loads.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    For reloading 223, bullet length variation and loading too close to max length has tripped me up before. Give yourself some room for error or by better bullets.
    In my case it was an experienced reloader making a newbie mistake.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    This thread is a little backwards. The real debate is "Can factory ammo shoot as good and reliably as hand loads?"
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I will jump on and agree with what others have said, hand loads can be and are just as reliable as factory so long as attention to detail, following the known recipes and not “playing with parameters” is maintained. Develop loads that work and take your time batching them up.

I think the issues seen with many of the gamers and their reloads is that they are trying to make their loads so light as to minimize recoil that it impacts system function. I have seen that at some IDPA matches.
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This thread is a little backwards. The real debate is "Can factory ammo shoot as good and reliably as hand loads?"
    One of the reasons that I rarely have to post here is the above gentleman has a way of both getting to the heart of the matter and mirrors my thoughts... well done Sir!
    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. Mark Twain
    Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/mark_twain_386139

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    How difficult is it seal the primer pockets and necks hand loading?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    I'm not even going to ask why.

You can purchase the primer pocket sealer, kind of similar to loc-tite.

Even without a chemical seal, the case grips the bullet so tightly that it would take a long soak before you have to worry about water intrusion.

Andy

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Exceedingly difficult to do it good enough to make it worth while.

And like AndyLate pointed out, it's not needed.

If I'm REALLY wanting to make a sealed up round, I'll pull down a factory load that has nice sealed/crimped primers, and replace the bullet and powder charge with good stuff. Sometimes even the necks have sealant still too.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I'm not even going to ask why.
    Exceedingly difficult to do it good enough to make it worth while.
    It's the only possible advantage I could think of for a factory load. I thought it was desirable, at least on the primer for keeping oil out. Not true?

Pack your own parachute, service your own dive gear, do you own brake job, etc. make sense to me. Why trust your life to someone else's work if you can competently do it yourself?

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    It's the only possible advantage I could think of for a factory load. I thought it was desirable, at least on the primer for keeping oil out. Not true?

Pack your own parachute, service your own dive gear, do you own brake job, etc. make sense to me. Why trust your life to someone else's work if you can competently do it yourself?
    Generally speaking, non-mil loads are no more sealed than reloads and it's a non-issue.

I reload but personally choose to load new, factory loaded ammunition in my defensive pistols and carbines, FWIW

Andy

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast