Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    It's the only possible advantage I could think of for a factory load. I thought it was desirable, at least on the primer for keeping oil out. Not true?
    Not really... for a few reasons...

1. You'd have to be really negligent in lube location on a gun to get the case head area wet enough with lube to seep into primer pockets, and

2. The booger eaters over on ARFcom posted some window licking methods to render primers inert. Most attempts at soaking them in oils and stuff failed to kill the primer.

All things equal, sealed ammo is a plus. But not worth going to a lot of trouble to get.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I appreciate the replies to this thread. My observation of reloads being unreliable is a poor one because it isn't my reloads failing me. Just chasing someone with a timer and their gun magically stops working. They walk off the stage pissed, and I call the next shooter up. If I start loading I would do it in steps like some of the other posters where it gets dragged out throughout the week and I'll have my loads done by friday.

One of my shooting buddies offered to help me work up a load, and make a couple hundred 6.5 CM. He said he didn't want to touch 556 though. said something about decrimping or the primer pockets? I don't mind doing some kinda task with a bucket of brass while watching TV. I should ask him next time I see him what he meant, but what does the forum think about brass prepping 556?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    For primer pockets, a Dillon super swage will take care of it. I borrowed a friends one time to do a large batch and was impressed. Tedious work but what case prep isnt?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I trust my reloads far more than I trust commercial ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Reloads and reliability??

Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I appreciate the replies to this thread. My observation of reloads being unreliable is a poor one because it isn't my reloads failing me. Just chasing someone with a timer and their gun magically stops working. They walk off the stage pissed, and I call the next shooter up. If I start loading I would do it in steps like some of the other posters where it gets dragged out throughout the week and I'll have my loads done by friday.
    That isn’t really a fair comparison. Those reloads are put together to just meet minimum PF by whatever rules they are playing in the game.

I’d argue they’re pushing the limits of what will actually cycle the gun in some cases. In addition, they’re pumping them out pretty quickly which is when mistakes happen.

I should know as I was once there.
    Last edited by HKGuns; 09-27-20 at 16:07.

Feedback Score
    How difficult is it seal the primer pockets and necks hand loading?
    It's the only possible advantage I could think of for a factory load. I thought it was desirable, at least on the primer for keeping oil out. Not true?
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Not really... for a few reasons...

1. You'd have to be really negligent in lube location on a gun to get the case head area wet enough with lube to seep into primer pockets, and

2. The booger eaters over on ARFcom posted some window licking methods to render primers inert. Most attempts at soaking them in oils and stuff failed to kill the primer.

All things equal, sealed ammo is a plus.
    What MarkM said... The guy from The Box of Truth also tried to kill primers by soaking them in oil, and IIRC it didn't work: They still went bang.

I think somebody over on TFL was using clear nail polish to seal primers. I can't see the point, honestly...

One of my shooting buddies offered to help me work up a load, and make a couple hundred 6.5 CM. He said he didn't want to touch 556 though. said something about decrimping or the primer pockets?
    De-crimping is only a problem with milsurp cases that were crimped, and the problem is easily solved by swagging or whatever.

Don't let that dissuade you from reloading!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by HKGuns View Post
    That isn’t really a fair comparison. Those reloads are put together to just meet minimum PF by whatever rules they are playing in the game.

I’d argue they’re pushing the limits of what will actually cycle the gun in some cases...

Been there, done that...

This is like comparing race cars and production cars: Yes, race cars break down more often, but not from a lack of attention to detail.

If you push the envelope chasing performance, then sooner or later stuff will fail to function...

On the other hand, it really is stupid simple to come up with reliable loads, if reliability is your priority.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you are going to prep buckets of 5.56 spend the money and get the Dillon Super Swager. Gets rid of the crimped primer pocket. Super easy and super effective.You can even hook a spring around the stage ‘lever’ and make it auto-eject.

One of my shooting buddies offered to help me work up a load, and make a couple hundred 6.5 CM. He said he didn't want to touch 556 though. said something about decrimping or the primer pockets? I don't mind doing some kinda task with a bucket of brass while watching TV. I should ask him next time I see him what he meant, but what does the forum think about brass prepping 556?
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score

The two calibers I am trying to load for specifically are 556 and 6.5 Creedmoor. For the 556 I have TAC and 77gr SMK's and...
    TAC is good and well worth having around.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Sealing can be done with nail polish, but no real reason to. I don't.

Reaming or swaging primer pockets is part of the deal with 5.56 brass. No big deal, you only have to do it once in the cases life. I dream, with drill. Not a big deal.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast