Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Stupidity, Laziness, Mechanical incompetence... or any combination of these three.

I've found discarded reloads out at our old shooting area where primers are mashed in sideways, not seated correctly, etc.

HAHAHAHA so true....but sadly I have also seen sideways and backwards primers in bulk Remington UMC that we used for training. Would get a handful every couple thousand. Honestly, for training ammo, it is nice to get malfunctions here and there.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I hate crimped primer pockets. Luckily you only need to "fix" them once.

Andy

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'll try and mark brass with a sharpie that has been 'fixed' that way it will be easier to sort in the future.

Can anyone talk about the properties of TAC powder? Specifically the flash, and temperature sensitivity?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Well that's a good point. I mark all rifle reloads with sharpie, a mark on the case head for every time it's been loaded. So anything with a mark has naturally been reamed.

Side note, that's how you know range pick up hasn't been reloaded, still has the crimp. Can't believe the amount of reloaders gold folks leave behind....

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    Can anyone talk about the properties of TAC powder? Specifically the flash, and temperature sensitivity?
    TAC has pretty good temp stability... I've never tested it to get first hand results though. Flash is low/mild. It's a slower burning powder. I used to load it with 55 gr FMJs, which works, but doesn't make sense to me now.

TAC is best paired with at least a 62 gr bullet. Anything lighter, and a faster burning powder would be better.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    TAC has pretty good temp stability... I've never tested it to get first hand results though. Flash is low/mild. It's a slower burning powder. I used to load it with 55 gr FMJs, which works, but doesn't make sense to me now.

TAC is best paired with at least a 62 gr bullet. Anything lighter, and a faster burning powder would be better.
    For temp stability I am in the same state; so 55-115*F is what it would likely see.

Im loading it behind 77gr SMK's and was thinking of starting around 22.5 and working up to 24 grs?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    For temp stability I am in the same state; so 55-115*F is what it would likely see.

Im loading it behind 77gr SMK's and was thinking of starting around 22.5 and working up to 24 grs?
    Loading 23.5 with a5h2 in an 11.5 wouldn’t lock back on last round suppressed or unsuppressed. I went with 24 tac and dropped to a5h1 and it runs like a sewing machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I hate crimped primer pockets. Luckily you only need to "fix" them once.

Andy
    Somehow I wound up with a bunch of Win 9mm brass with crimped primers. I didn't realize it until I had a primer half smashed. I think they have all been swaged now. We will see how many show up in the future.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    Somehow I wound up with a bunch of Win 9mm brass with crimped primers. I didn't realize it until I had a primer half smashed. I think they have all been swaged now. We will see how many show up in the future.
    I had a few of those slip through the other day. Annoying.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    Somehow I wound up with a bunch of Win 9mm brass with crimped primers.... We will see how many show up in the future.
    I had a few of those slip through the other day. Annoying.

This kind of thing comes up, but if you're paying attention, then it's immediately obvious, and it doesn't make your reloads any less reliable...

Random messes:

A 10mm case in with the .40 cases, which was smashed by the powder funnel and spilled powder all over...

A .380 case inside a .40 case... Not a good day for the primer punch-out pin!

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast