Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    Stupidity, Laziness, Mechanical incompetence... or any combination of these three.

Focusing on output volume alone is another thing that can burn you even if the three previously mentioned traits are not an issue.

I've found discarded reloads out at our old shooting area where primers are mashed in sideways, not seated correctly, etc. There was a batch of crap out there one day that was beyond belief.
    You left out “Alcohol induced stupor”. Ok, falls under stupid I suppose.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    This kind of thing comes up, but if you're paying attention, then it's immediately obvious, and it doesn't make your reloads any less reliable...

Random messes:

A 10mm case in with the .40 cases, which was smashed by the powder funnel and spilled powder all over...

A .380 case inside a .40 case... Not a good day for the primer punch-out pin!
    A 9mm case inside a .41 Rem Mag will train wreck your de-capping pretty quick too. The crimped primers in 9mm caught me off guard because I wasn't looking for it (unlike mil rifle brass).

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    I was going through my re-loading log not too long ago. I once pulled a bunch of re-loads because I had loaded the batch while home with the flu. I thought about it and decided that was too close to being "impaired" for my level of quality control.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by duece71 View Post
    Yeah, maybe I'm just not a good enough drinker, but I won't go anywhere near my reloading bench (or my guns) if I've been drinking.

I hear guys talking about drinking beer while reloading, and I'm flabbergasted...

Quote Originally Posted by Chubbs103 View Post
    II once pulled a bunch of re-loads because I had loaded the batch while home with the flu. I thought about it and decided that was too close to being "impaired" for my level of quality control.
    I understand that completely... If I'm taking cold/flu medicine, then I don't do anything involving guns, power tools, machinery, etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    I hear guys talking about drinking beer while reloading, and I'm flabbergasted...
    I just quit drinking. I have to relearn to load sober.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I just quit drinking. I have to relearn to load sober.
    Hang in there. You’ll still enjoy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Case prep with a separate XL650 toolhead (size, trim, neck mandrel) and dry tumbling allows me to enjoy a craft beer or two during a session. I don't get sideways, but it's pretty hard to screw up as long as I lube the cases. But I usually have a separate sober session for loading on the other toolhead.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 390ish View Post
    Hang in there. You’ll still enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by MWAG19919 View Post
    Case prep with a separate XL650 toolhead (size, trim, neck mandrel) and dry tumbling allows me to enjoy a craft beer or two during a session. I don't get sideways, but it's pretty hard to screw up as long as I lube the cases. But I usually have a separate sober session for loading on the other toolhead.
    Exactly. There are hours of case prep steps before hitting the press where a cold beer eases the monotony.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    I’ve been reloading for 30 years. I started back in the day because 10 MM was so expensive. I started with a cheap Lee progressive of some type and then bought a Dillon RL550B on credit from Dillon.

Things I’ve learned:
    1. Only reload when you can give it your full uninterrupted attention (.308 round with no powder)
    2. Consistency is everything. Consistency in components, consistency in method. As an example, FMJs do not hold weight and length as consistently as match bullets. Range pick up brass is much less consistent than factory brass from the same lot.

Range pick up brass has caused me more trouble than anything. Split necks, stretched primer pockets, Berdan brass among other things.

Feedback Score
    Case prep on range brass is tedious and time consuming, but I still pick up whatever's left behind. With good attention to detail you can reload rounds that are as reliable as mass produced factory rounds, even with an inexpensive single stage press. The final step in my process is to drop each round in a JP case gauge to verify that completed rounds are in spec dimensionally.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast