Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I love range pickup brass. Found a couple new shooting spots lately that have been gold mines. Gotten hundreds of 9mm and .223 lately, just loaded almost 300 rounds of .223 the other night with 'em. Lovin' that.

Shot alongside some strangers at one of the spots, told 'em to leave it when done, I'd pick it up. They were only too happy to oblige.

Reaming primer pockets is a pain, but when you see that crimp you know it's not someone's x-times loaded brass they're now chucking.

As always, inspect thoroughly, and when in doubt throw it out.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I love range pickup brass.
    Since we're running off on this tangent...

The local cops use my local shooting club, where I'm a range master.

Happiness is going up there after the cops have left their once-fired nickel .40 (Speer) and .223 brass all over the place... It feels like picking up free money.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmer View Post
    Since we're running off on this tangent...

The local cops use my local shooting club, where I'm a range master.

Happiness is going up there after the cops have left their once-fired nickel .40 (Speer) and .223 brass all over the place... It feels like picking up free money.
    Must be nice. Once fired brass is definitely worth the time to pick up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I too have been known to hang around the old Accuracy Speaks Gunshop @ Rio Salado R&P Range while
    Rob Leatham was running Delta/SF troops through his classes, ( USGI NM .45 cases ) or Mesa P.D. SWAT
    were working their sniper rifles, ( Fed Gold Medal .308 ) then swoop in like a vulture.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Mark and I used to shoot at the High power range at Rio and saw the Police sniper teams shooting often. We used to go there before we had access to the ranch and in the summer at 115 degrees. They did more very short range shooting than long as it was more applicable I would think.

We snagged a few pieces of brass.

PB
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awww damn I shoot at Rio and CowTown all the time.

I haven't shot a match in awhile though because of the crazy ammo prices.

I just went to the main range the other day and was able to come home with more brass than I left with. I really need to buy a de-primer tool and get to work.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Started reloading 25 years ago on Dillon RL550B, & have loaded & shot many thousands of 40 caliber without any problems. Am transitioning to 9mm in addition to my 40 cal (waiting on Dillon parts as they're back ordered). Over the years, never any problems with my loads, but surprisingly had more issues every 2-3 years with the factory reload practice ammo my dept has issued. Was just talking to one of the guys last week & he still had some of the "hot" loads that we had been issued by accident by one company.

I've also had good luck with range brass along with picking up my own, & I don't examine every one, after you've cleaned & starting the reload process, I run across some that I just like the look of & toss them.

As said above, go slow, even with a progressive with 100% attention. I even rigged up a light over my bench so I can visually see the level of powder as I rotate to ensure no doubles. I've also noticed over the years, you will learn what your machine feels like, & when something doesn't feel right, stop & look/inspect for problems with the machine parts or casing etc.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CEE View Post
    As said above, go slow, even with a progressive with 100% attention. I even rigged up a light over my bench so I can visually see the level of powder as I rotate to ensure no doubles. I've also noticed over the years, you will learn what your machine feels like, & when something doesn't feel right, stop & look/inspect for problems with the machine parts or casing etc.
    It's like I'm reading my own words.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I figured I would bump my own thread instead of starting a new one.

I was talking to a buddy and he said that 9mm and 556 can use the same primers. I looked at both cases and sure enough it looks like he wasn't lying. He said the issue is that AR's have a free floating firing pin and need a harder primer, where as pistols don't. It would be beneficial if I could buy one set of primers in bulk and do all my 9mm and 556 with it, but I don't want too hard of a primer for my glock, or get slam fires in my AR's.

What does the forum think? Anyone have any experience with this?

My buddy also said that if my barrels like them: H4895, varget, and reloader 15- could all be used in both 556 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Again I'd like to consolidate components and buy in bulk if I can get an OK load.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I figured I would bump my own thread instead of starting a new one.

I was talking to a buddy and he said that 9mm and 556 can use the same primers. I looked at both cases and sure enough it looks like he wasn't lying. He said the issue is that AR's have a free floating firing pin and need a harder primer, where as pistols don't. It would be beneficial if I could buy one set of primers in bulk and do all my 9mm and 556 with it, but I don't want too hard of a primer for my glock, or get slam fires in my AR's.

What does the forum think? Anyone have any experience with this?

My buddy also said that if my barrels like them: H4895, varget, and reloader 15- could all be used in both 556 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Again I'd like to consolidate components and buy in bulk if I can get an OK load.
    Small rifle and small pistol primers are the same size, but that is where the similarity ends. Never use small pistol primers in a 223/5.56 - not just because of firing pin differences, mainly because of pressure.

That said, you can use small rifle primers in handgun rounds. Just like any other primer change, work up maximum loads again using the new primers. Not all handguns will reliably fire small rifle primers. I have used small rifle primers in .357 Magnum, but never tried them in an automatic pistol.

It is possible to use the same powder for 5.56 and 6.5 CM (and a number of other rifle cartridges). Generally, powders that are optimal for the 5.56 will have a burn speed that is faster than optimal for the 6.5 CM.

I found the Lyman reloading book to be extremely useful and informative regarding reloading in general and strongly recommend it.

For what it's worth, large pistol and rifle primers are not dimensionally identical.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-31-20 at 23:58.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast