Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloads and reliability??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    I was talking to a buddy and he said that 9mm and 556 can use the same primers...

It would be beneficial if I could buy one set of primers in bulk and do all my 9mm and 556 with it, but I don't want too hard of a primer for my glock, or get slam fires in my AR's.

What does the forum think?
    Just don't...

Primers normally cost 2-3˘ each (just wait 6-12 months, and they'll come back again).

You can buy 20,000 of them for $500 or $600, and that many fit in a couple shoeboxes.

So, buy both kinds, keep them separate, and deal with the bit of complexity...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've used plenty of small rifle primers, magnum and standard, in multiple Glocks, and never had a problem.

Small rifle primers can be substituted for small pistol, just not the other way around.

I've read of quite a few reloaders who only buy rifle primers, and load pistol and rifle with them.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    I've used plenty of small rifle primers, magnum and standard, in multiple Glocks, and never had a problem.

Small rifle primers can be substituted for small pistol, just not the other way around.

I've read of quite a few reloaders who only buy rifle primers, and load pistol and rifle with them.
    That's interesting. I was reloading pistol ammo long before I started on 223/5.56, so I only used small rifle primers in stout 357 loads fired in a Blackhawk or lever gun. I had no idea a striker fired automatic pistol would light off the rifle primers.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh yeah. Glocks, at least, give a very solid strike, with standard factory parts.

Lots of folks have run Izzy subgun ammo through them, +p+, no problem.

I've used magnum pistol, and rifle, magnum and standard (often because it's all I could find), and they've lit off every time, indentation looks the same as it ever did with any other primers/ammo.

Last batch of primers I got from Sportsmans wharehouse a couple months ago, 3,000 of 'em all Federal Small Pistol Magnum.

They had a whole row of the big boxes. I didn't hesitate.

2 days later the rest were gone.

Was just shooting today, the P80 (Glock internals of course), and last weekend, the G19, those very primers in the loads. No different than any others.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I figured I would bump my own thread instead of starting a new one.

I was talking to a buddy and he said that 9mm and 556 can use the same primers. I looked at both cases and sure enough it looks like he wasn't lying. He said the issue is that AR's have a free floating firing pin and need a harder primer, where as pistols don't. It would be beneficial if I could buy one set of primers in bulk and do all my 9mm and 556 with it, but I don't want too hard of a primer for my glock, or get slam fires in my AR's.

What does the forum think? Anyone have any experience with this?

My buddy also said that if my barrels like them: H4895, varget, and reloader 15- could all be used in both 556 and 6.5 Creedmoor. Again I'd like to consolidate components and buy in bulk if I can get an OK load.
    Stick powders do not meter as well as ball, in particular trying to get it into something with a small case mouth like .223 can be problematic. Also Reloader 15 is pretty temp sensitive which is why it is no longer used for M118 LR.
    Last edited by mack7.62; 11-05-20 at 06:07.
    “The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

"He is free to evade reality, he is free to unfocus his mind and stumble blindly down any road he pleases, but not free to avoid the abyss he refuses to see."

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I figured I would bump my own thread instead of starting a new one.

I was talking to a buddy and he said that 9mm and 556 can use the same primers. I looked at both cases and sure enough it looks like he wasn't lying. He said the issue is that AR's have a free floating firing pin and need a harder primer, where as pistols don't. It would be beneficial if I could buy one set of primers in bulk and do all my 9mm and 556 with it, but I don't want too hard of a primer for my glock, or get slam fires in my AR's.

What does the forum think? Anyone have any experience with this?
    Someone from ArfTard contacted Federal years back. There standard small rifle and small pistol primers were reported to be the exact same product.

I've tried some Bosnian pistol primers in AR that would pierce and damage my firing pin. Wold SRM cups were too thick for reliable ignition in Glocks.

I'd be fine running WIN or Fed standard rifle primers for both pistol and rifle.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I thought this was interesting given the interest in sealed/unsealed primers. Basically they conducted a limited test, including soaking sealed and unsealed primers in water and motor oil for 30 days. They noted no anomalies, sealed or unsealed.

https://www.ammoman.com/blog/do-seal...-a-difference/

Andy

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I thought this was interesting given the interest in sealed/unsealed primers. Basically they conducted a limited test, including soaking sealed and unsealed primers in water and motor oil for 30 days. They noted no anomalies, sealed or unsealed.
    IIRC the "box of truth" guy did the same kind of thing, and had the same results: It's about impossible to "contaminate" a primer.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Im back:

Think I got a decent 556 load worked up, but want the forums opinion before I go and mass produce it. I cant post pics because of the shadow ban on imgur, but it is what it is.

Fed Primer, Win brass, 77gr SMK loaded to 2.260, Hogdon H335 powder

The two nodes I am considering is:

24.0 AVG 2671 FPS SD28 ES 54 This was a very accurate load.

24.3 AVG 2696 FPS SD 10 ES 20 This load looks great over the chronograph but was over 1.5" on paper

The other factor that I am unsure of is OAL. It seems at 2.260 some of the bullets are a little long and got hung up in my pmags. I exclusively use pmags in every gun so I would rather change the OAL than buy new mags. Would bumping it down to 2.250 mean I need to redo my ladder tests?
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I load my 75gr load (Hornady BTHP) to 2.250. No problems in my gen 2 Pmags.

I load those with 22.0gr of H335, will shoot MOA, no chrono data.

I think you'd be fine bumping them down to 2.250 without a workup (unless you're right at max.), I'd just confirm accuracy and as always look for pressure signs at the primers.

Whichever node you see best accuracy in is the way to go, I feel.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast