Thread: JSP's in the 7.62x51 AR?

Feedback Score

JSP's in the 7.62x51 AR?

I've read of issues regarding JSP's in .223 / 5.56 AR's, though the few I've run did not have feeding issues.

I haven't had feeding issues in the few I've run through a .308 AR, either.

Do ammo makers consider powder type, length, etc. appropriate for .308 AR's when they load common JSP ammunition?

Do problems (stoppages) more frequently occur with JSP vs other types of .308 ammo in an AR?

I ask because I'm focusing a more on my rifle shooting lately and I'm getting more hunting-type ammo saved up rather than the lower-quality / less accurate fmj / M80 type.

I'd like the gun to run.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I’ve had zero feed issues with Fusion in my AR10’s.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You'll be fine.

The issue I think your talking about is from ages ago, when some PD used thousands of rounds of JSP for training and their feed ramps got gunked up because of the 'exposed lead ogive'.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Cool, thanks.

I've run a few boxes of 165 gr Sierra Game Kings through it and it ran.

I'm trying decent ammo together to shoot / train with and the choices are generally not accurate m80-style fmj or hunting ammo.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    I have had no issues with 150 grain Sierra Game Kings or Speer Hot-Cor in my LE901. If you're looking for more accuracy, check out Hornady AMAX loads.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerblue View Post
    I have had no issues with 150 grain Sierra Game Kings or Speer Hot-Cor in my LE901. If you're looking for more accuracy, check out Hornady AMAX loads.
    Thanks. I'm not looking for great accuracy here. This is a thin 16 inch barrel. 2 moa and I'm happy with it.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron3 View Post
    Cool, thanks.

I've run a few boxes of 165 gr Sierra Game Kings through it and it ran.

I'm trying decent ammo together to shoot / train with and the choices are generally not accurate m80-style fmj or hunting ammo.
    M80 is the reason I got out of 308 and into 6.5. My 140 FMJ loads will do sub 2" all day long. M80 is like a shotgun blast hit the target.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by turnburglar View Post
    M80 is the reason I got out of 308 and into 6.5. My 140 FMJ loads will do sub 2" all day long. M80 is like a shotgun blast hit the target.
    Yep. M80 type ammo is just for rough zeroing and basic function testing and plinking. Anything approaching "accurate" ammo is going to be $.70 to $1 a shot even in good times in .308. (Factory)

So, that's what I'm buying.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I actually took my LMT MWS out today to shoot it for the first time in a minute, granted with today's ammo situation I didn't shoot that much--only18 rounds. Out of those 18 rounds, 6 were 150gr Hornady Interlock; 6 were Federal Vital Shok 150gr JSP, and 6 were also Fed Vital Shok 180gr.

No issues with these thus far (granted it wasn't very many rounds but nothing seemed or felt out of the ordinary).
    http://parrotheadjeff.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/Shooter-Jack-rkba.gif