Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Redi-mag/ Spare mag? Another lesson fron Kyle.

Feedback Score
    I know most people here aren’t former door kickers from JSOC or John Wicks or anything like that, but with regard to looking to Kyle to see what one could do to better be prepared in a confrontation similar to his or even a straight up gunfight... would we not also want to look to what those who actively run towards the sound of gunfire as a profession use? And in saying that, how many professional face-shooters are running redi-mags? I’ve seen pictures of Delta running them in the earlier GWOT days... but not so much now. So if current gunfighters aren’t using them due to there being better options, why would a civilian not use the “better options” as well?

Just something to think on and possibly further discussion.

Feedback Score
    One key point that’s missing in this discussion is how to correctly resolve a malfunction in the first place. Automatically performing a magazine change is not the first step. Ensuring the magazine is fully seated is. I have never run a ready mag or a coupler. Training has taught me lighter gun, less gizmos equals more maneuverable faster shots on targets from awkward positions. I have noticed some guys I work with running Magpul couplers but I still don’t see the value. Spare mag in a pocket is how I train for quick Un-expected deployment and feeding off my belt then to plate carrier is the ideal set-up. Regardless whichever method is chosen practicing is the only way to make it efficient. I don’t think we can learn much from Kyle about what we should do but I think we can learn a lot about what we shouldn’t do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post
    I know most people here aren’t former door kickers from JSOC or John Wicks or anything like that, but with regard to looking to Kyle to see what one could do to better be prepared in a confrontation similar to his or even a straight up gunfight... would we not also want to look to what those who actively run towards the sound of gunfire as a profession use? And in saying that, how many professional face-shooters are running redi-mags? I’ve seen pictures of Delta running them in the earlier GWOT days... but not so much now. So if current gunfighters aren’t using them due to there being better options, why would a civilian not use the “better options” as well?

People conducting raids and going on patrols have ample mags readily accessible on their kit. That’s a very different use case.

This discussion is about those who just have their rifle on them. Perhaps Rittenhouse should have had a bag or bandoleer with spare mags, but I heard he borrowed the rifle from a friend so maybe his friend didn’t have anything else to give him. But, say you need to grab a rifle from your car and go, or grab your rifle for a bump in the night. In that instance, having another mag on hand and attached to the rifle could be beneficial. But of course people need to try things and train with them to see if it works for their needs.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JediGuy View Post
    Those are cool. Little spendy though. A few dollars more and you can have a fastmag.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never used it so take this with a grain of salt- my immediate concern is with retention of the clip itself. I've lost high end folders with quality clips that weigh a couple ounces, I could only imagine a heavy magazine being even more prone to dislodging itself.

Given how the situation with Kyle played out, had he needed it, I'm not so sure that mag would've still been there.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieThom View Post

Gunfighters obey the rule of gunfighting wherein you bring friends to a gunfight. But I like your line of thinking.

I have always hated Redi-Mags. If I had to be ready to grab one thing with each hand and run out the door into some crazy apocalyptic thing, I’d have a D60 staged in the gun and throw a 30 in my left rear pocket, and hope its still there if I need it.

I don’t generally like D60’s either, but I think it would fit the situation that is being discussed.

I know Crye generally makes good shit, but how’s the retention on these with running and jumping?
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I know Crye generally makes good shit, but how’s the retention on these with running and jumping?
    Not a doorkicker, but if hooked on my belt, they survived a few sprints. I have not jumped around in them, though. Been a while actually. May dig them out and try.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345