Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Redi-mag/ Spare mag? Another lesson fron Kyle.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Is a pouch, band, or any other method to attach a magazine to the stock viable? That's the only area on the gun I wouldn't mind weighing more.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have a stock mount pouch for a mag.

Don't like it, don't use it, as it interferes with the CH when stock isn't fully extended, and adds weight and bulk to the weapon.

I've used coupled mags. Used to have one in the main house gun, for obvious grab-and-go reasons. But the more I shit and trained with it that way, the more I hated it. Ended up selling the couplers.

Add to the fact that coupled mags won't be fitting in most pouches, waste space in a dump pouch, etc., just decided I didn't like 'em.

Redi mag would be a "do not want" also.

In Kyle's exact situation, had I a choice between coupler, redi mag, stock pouch, or spare in a pocket, I'd go with option 4.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ViniVidivici View Post
    as it interferes with the CH when stock isn't fully extended
    That's clearly not viable but there are other methods that would not interfere, like the SBM4 which also avoids bulk. I cannot see how the weight of a PMAG 20 is a problem in that location, other than long patrols?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I doubt newbies would want to spend the $$$ on an optimal set up like a war belt/range belt for extra mags. Pockets are another option. Redimag (for me) is the worst option, I dont want more weight and bulk on my gun.
    me neither. i am not a big fan of the coupled mags. I bought one of the magpul ones when i didnt know better and i hate it. too damn heavy

Feedback Score
    I bought a magazine coupler for Lancer magazines and I don’t like it either. I don’t use it anymore.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Disciple View Post
    That's clearly not viable but there are other methods that would not interfere, like the SBM4 which also avoids bulk. I cannot see how the weight of a PMAG 20 is a problem in that location, other than long patrols?

Yeah but that's proprietary for just that brace. I'd never buy that brace just for that purpose. I like my KAK.

And yeah, it wouldn't make the weapon unmanageable, but I still wouldn't want the extra weight there, and then the associated imbalance once I reload. Cool in that it doesn't interfere with the CH like others, but still di not want.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Everything is trade offs - yes, if the $hit hits the fan and you only have brain power to grab a rifle, you are only going to have what is on the rifle.

So train to have another magazine with the rifle and stick it in your pocketses.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony617 View Post
    My work colleague has the original S&W Sports and it doesn’t even a dust cover on it. .
    That seemed to be the biggest issue with those. The barrels were nice and was what got used on their premium models, nitride 5R with 1-8 twists.

Feedback Score
    I know this thread is about carrying an extra mag but to me the bigger takeaway from the Kyle deal is to transition to a pistol, extra mag or not. Usually quicker to transition to pistol than to clear a malfunction or perform a reload.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Not a giant fan of redi mag. I tried to like it, but I just can't. Two mags taped together or mag couplers if you want to get super fancy with it. It's heavy, though. I wouldn't do it if carrying a spare mag were an option. But for a bedside gun, there's not really another option.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast