Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR9s and 147 Grain Ammo

Feedback Score

AR9s and 147 Grain Ammo

I have an FM Products FM9 that is all factory parts except the muzzle brake. Recently FM Came out with a troubleshooting/break in guide. In it, for defensive ammo, they recommend 124 grain HST. Of course, all of my defensive ammo is 147 grain.

I have noticed my AR9 has a little more trouble feeding and cycling 147 grain ammo. Most of what I shoot is reloads and I typically go mid-range on the powder/power level. However, even when I go to full power the 147 grain loads don’t always lock the bolt back on the last round (new Magpul 12-round magazine) and have sometimes some Have trouble feeding.

I noticed that the recommended round, HST 124 grain has a higher muzzle energy than the 147 grain HST; does that translate into more force to cycle the action on a blowback like this? If that’s the case, if I reduce the weight of the recoiling parts or reduce the spring force, would that help reliability?

Thanks.

Feedback Score
    Since 147 gr is subsonic, trying a different recoil spring would help. I shoot only subsonic in my AR 9 since I shoot it suppressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    The 147 shape is a little more troublesome to feed and has lower muzzle energy.

In a simple blow back, this directly translates to less energy to cycle the action.

Reducing the bolt mass will speed up cycling.

Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    I have an FM Products FM9 that is all factory parts except the muzzle brake. Recently FM Came out with a troubleshooting/break in guide. In it, for defensive ammo, they recommend 124 grain HST. Of course, all of my defensive ammo is 147 grain.

I have noticed my AR9 has a little more trouble feeding and cycling 147 grain ammo. Most of what I shoot is reloads and I typically go mid-range on the powder/power level. However, even when I go to full power the 147 grain loads don’t always lock the bolt back on the last round (new Magpul 12-round magazine) and have sometimes some Have trouble feeding.

I noticed that the recommended round, HST 124 grain has a higher muzzle energy than the 147 grain HST; does that translate into more force to cycle the action on a blowback like this? If that’s the case, if I reduce the weight of the recoiling parts or reduce the spring force, would that help reliability?

Thanks.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Mine cycles noticeably more vigorously with lighter projectiles.
    RLTW

Former Action Guy
    Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have a Colt style dedicated lower and use it with a 5” barrel with suppressor. It has a heavy 9mm buffer and one of the tubbs flat wire springs. Even with the original RRA 9mm buffer I started with I never had a problem with 147gr, both FMJ-FP and HST HP. In fact, I have only put a few 115 gr through it. That was just to see the difference in report between the standard and subsonic rounds.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the replies everyone. There is a 2 Oz steel insert in the carrier. I’ll remove that and try it with my 147 grain loads. If it’s too “vigorous” I can drop it right back in.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I have seen the same issues with my 8.5" FM9 and a Spikes 9mm buffer with Ranger 147g.

To fix feeding I polished the bottom of the chamber and ramp until shiny. After that I got a Failure to go into Battery with only 147 I believe because of less oomph to push the buffer/spring back and hence forward.

To fix that I polished the leading edges of the AR type extractor to make it easier to clear the case rim upon feeding. Note the Colt 9mm extractor uses a much narrower and smoother leading edge bevel.

147 is my duty load so I have a bunch but I was tempted to buy some SD 124+P just for my 9mm PCCs... Then I realized that's what I have 5.56 guns for!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 09-24-20 at 23:40.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. There is a 2 Oz steel insert in the carrier. I’ll remove that and try it with my 147 grain loads. If it’s too “vigorous” I can drop it right back in.
    What sort of spring does the gun have? I have found that I can use a lot of mass with no issues, but increasing spring weight causes short cycling, even with pretty average cycling mass. My current setup has a tungsten weight in the bolt. Colt spring.

Feedback Score
    It has a .308 carbine spring. My other thought was to try a 5.56 carbine spring. Just not sure which change is a bigger change. I will probably take all of the components to the range and try them out with factory ammo.

Feedback Score
    Took my FM9 out over the weekend and shot some 147 gr reloads and 147 Winchester Ranger RA9T. It recoiled “briskly” with the 2oz weight removed from the carrier and I didn’t have any lock back issues.

However, it wouldn’t feed the Rangers very well. Both the 147 gr Rangers and some 147 gr. XTPs I loaded caught on the “feed ramp.” Both of those are more cone-shaped bullets so when I can find 147 gr. bullets with a rounded profile I’ll try those.

In the meantime, I’ll look for some 115/124 gr. hollow points to try. FM recommends standard pressure 124 gr. HSTs.

By the way, why is there no ramp on a 9mm AR barrel? It seems like that would greatly improve reliability.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast