Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AR9s and 147 Grain Ammo

Feedback Score
    If the MFG sez not to use 147s, perhaps you should listen to them.
    I understand component availability problems right now, but it would seem to me the main argument for 147s is running suppressed.
    Changing ammo would seem an easier fix.
    Moon
    ETA- Thinking about this, and PP's remarks-I have a S&W 940 (9mm J-frame) which has a noticeably unpleasant rap with my standard 115 reloads...and it is much milder with my 147 grain reloads.
    M
    Last edited by halfmoonclip; 10-18-20 at 09:51.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    If the MFG sez not to use 147s, perhaps you should listen to them.
    M
    Half moon,
    I’m sure what they recommend is what works best in the design constraints of the pistol. But if I can make a change to a component and have it be reliable with my load of choice, that’s what I would want to do. If 147s are just too long for the design, so be it. If I can change a weight or spring and get it to work I’ll try that. After all, that’s what’s so fun about ARs. They’re like Legos for adults.

Feedback Score
    Yer gun and yer call...
    I just hate to try to push string uphill...
    Best,
    Moon

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    Half moon,
    I’m sure what they recommend is what works best in the design constraints of the pistol. But if I can make a change to a component and have it be reliable with my load of choice, that’s what I would want to do. If 147s are just too long for the design, so be it. If I can change a weight or spring and get it to work I’ll try that. After all, that’s what’s so fun about ARs. They’re like Legos for adults.
    Polishing the ramp and chamber worked on my 8.5" FM9 upper.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    I polished the feed cone as well but it still hangs on long hollow points. Have you tried HPs in yours?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I polished the feed cone as well but it still hangs on long hollow points. Have you tried HPs in yours?
    Yes. Ranger 147g. I polished the heck out of it and the feed ramp with rubberized abrasive bits. I am running Colt mags.

I do agree that if they say use 124g then get some 124g HPs. I decided that's what my Scorpion and 5.56 pistols are for as I don't think FMs are exactly duty grade. Fun, but not my go-to SD gun.

Good luck!

Dennis.
    Last edited by Dennis; 10-24-20 at 02:28.

Feedback Score
    Dennis,

Mine takes Glock magazines which may make a difference. I’ll try polishing the feed cone more and try a carbine spring to see if that helps. This is my first PCC so it’s a learning opportunity. It sounds like the CZ is worth looking into.

Thanks to both you and Halfmoonclip for your advice.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    With a bare barrel in one hand and a 115/124 FMJ in your other hand, starting at a 45 degree angle, "drive" it up the feed ramp and around the corner into the chamber.

It will generally feel smooth without much resistance throughout the path.

Then, try the same thing with 147 flat nose.

You'll likely find a large resistance or a sticking point as the cartridge makes the final turn into the chamber.

This is the condition that can be improved by rounding the junction of the feed cone and chamber.

Only do the minimum amount to get good feeding. Excess material removal results in an unsupported chamber and the potential for bad things to happen.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    Thanks Clint. I will give that a try. I’m going to need some more tools first!

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score

Wink

Thanks Clint. I will give that a try. I’m going to need some more tools first!
    The OAL on round nose 147 in the Hi-Point carbines can jam on the roof of the chamber due to the entry angle. I found 147 truncated cones work just fine.

I have a BCA barrel tossed somewhere that has a factory feed ramp. Never used it so far. If the ramp protrudes (I have seen some that do) it can interfere with LRBHO parts.

I have an AR40 I built. Kaw Valley barrel. I cut and polished a feed ramp into it using a Dremel and a cone shaped stone. Then I polished it.

If your buffer is too light it won't always do LRBHO. Try a standard carbine buffer with a 5.4 or so buffer. I have a Spikes in my PSA 10.5" pistol. I originally had a 3oz standard carbine buffer.
    Last edited by NQNPIII; 11-08-20 at 10:28.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast