Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR9s and 147 Grain Ammo

Feedback Score
    So, the issue I’ve been having Is the longer 147 grain rounds hitting the bottom of the feed cone hard enough to Deform the bullet and press it back into the case. I suspect this could have to do with how quickly the bolt is cycling and whether the 147 gr. rounds have enough energy to push the bolt back its full range.

So, did test pushing a round into the chamber at multiple angles and didn’t feel any catching or resistance. I Went ahead an polished the feedcone more so it feels very slick.

I also switched to a Sprinco red spring and headed to the range. The pistol ran with no issues and fed 5 rounds of 147 Ranger just fine. The recoil impulse felt good. It didn’t feel like the buffer was bottoming out hard. So overall, even though it was a limited test, I think I am on the right track.

Once I can get my hands on more 147s I’ll give it a better test with both the 308 spring and the Sprinco red.
    Last edited by JB2000; 11-11-20 at 14:04.

Feedback Score
    I haven’t been able to find more 147 gr. hollow points but I did find some 124 gr. Sierras with a wide hollow point.

I got to the range with them today and noticed that the last round in the magazine kept getting slammed into the feed cone (I think) and then sticking part way into the chamber. I switched from the .308 spring to the Sprinco Red spring and the feeding problem went away. I’ll keep working with it to see if the Red spring does solve the problem but it does seem to be going in the right direction.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    I haven’t been able to find more 147 gr. hollow points but I did find some 124 gr. Sierras with a wide hollow point.

I got to the range with them today and noticed that the last round in the magazine kept getting slammed into the feed cone (I think) and then sticking part way into the chamber. I switched from the .308 spring to the Sprinco Red spring and the feeding problem went away. I’ll keep working with it to see if the Red spring does solve the problem but it does seem to be going in the right direction.
    Nice work!

You are using what weight buffer with the .308 spring?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Mine (Colt upper, Ballistic Advantage barrel, NFA lower and Glock mags) doesn’t like chambering the first round from a fresh mag when using 147gr Lawmen.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NQNPIII View Post
    Nice work!

You are using what weight buffer with the .308 spring?

Thank you. I’m using the 6.5 oz buffer from FM Products. My pistol is all FM (Foxtrot Mike) except for the Sprinco Red spring, a titanium firing pin, and Rainier Arms XTC muzzle brake.

Feedback Score
    My carrier in my Colt 6450 is 16 oz. My buffer is 4" and is 8 oz. This makes 24 oz total. I use a standard AR15 spring and I have no issues what-so-ever with 147 gr.
    Recoil is much lighter with the heavier set up.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JB2000 View Post
    It has a .308 carbine spring. My other thought was to try a 5.56 carbine spring. Just not sure which change is a bigger change. I will probably take all of the components to the range and try them out with factory ammo.
    Try a standard carbine spring

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    I was surprised FM recommended shooting WOLFE/TULA 115gr 9mm. Usually under powered and inconsistent. All my 9mm FMJ is mostly 124gr of various makers, Speer, FED & Win.
    HP's are Speer 124gr GDHP mostly +P, Fed HST 124gr and a mix of 147gr GDHP and HST.
    The Norma MHP 115gr fed well, what little I shot. It is what's in the mag in the pistol for serious use.
    I have a 6 mag GLOCK Mag Pouch. It fits in the case my 7" FM rides in. Those G17 +2 mags are loaded with Fed HST 124gr.

https://store.teamglock.com/new-item...mag-pouch.html

six_mag_pouch_front.jpg

six_mag_pouch_open.jpg

I also have a couple of these loaded. Holds 10 mags each. 1 for G17's, the other for M&P 9mm mags.

https://store.teamglock.com/glock-ge...ine-pouch.html

glock_10-position_m_18654f5.jpg
    Last edited by RWH24; 07-01-21 at 22:10.
    POW-MIA, #22untilnone
    Let Us #NeverForget!

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you,
    but it's still on my list.

2 Hollers over from TNOutdoors9 Hickman County, TN
    Feedback Score
    Tula 115 runs in my Extar9, and my Canik TP9FXS. Blazer brass jammed them and my brother's G19. I'll try not to buy that crap again. Bad thing is I got 2000rds of it. It did run fine in my 43X.

Feedback Score
    I have been running a 16 inch FM9 upper on an Anderson multi cal loser for several months. Foxtrotmike’s interesting little twist on the AR9 recipe is to recommend a 308 spring which consistently forces the round into the chamber even under imperfect conditions but affects the timing of the gun, then offer a propriety special length 3.75 inch buffer you can only get from them to counteract the timing effect of the 308 spring.

I started with a standard carbine spring and an 8 ounce KAK solid buffer. It ran 115, 124, 147, fmj and jhp with zero failures. The sub 1100 fps ammo they recommend against fed with no problems.

I then switched for piece of mind to a 7.5 ounce Macon armory lead shot buffer to eliminate the already minimal chance of bolt bounce. It’s been the same. A standard 4 inch 7.5 to 8 oz buffer on a carbine spring generally seems like it should run this kind of setup on diverse ammo with no problems. Messing with that sends you running off in various directions. Foxtrotmike’s recommendation of the 308 spring and 3.75 inch 6.5 ounce buffer is not the ideal starting point if you want it to eat everything with zero drama. Just geared to catch the attention of people impressed that it is specifically set up to chew through light easy on the wallet steel case fmj all day without a malfunction.

I have never changed anything else except 8oz solid and then 7.5oz moving weight buffer. Never touched the feed cone. Nearly 1000 rounds of various grades of ammo and not a single failure.

So shootable, consistent and boringly reliable I plan to buy a conversion block and some
    Glock mags to replace the Endomags, put a light on it and make what was purchased as strictly a plinker my inside the house HD long gun.
    Last edited by eman; 07-21-21 at 13:14.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast