Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrist strain w/ Magpul MFG

Feedback Score

Wrist strain w/ Magpul MFG

I've found that when I use the thumb break grip with my Magpul MFG (mounted on a Centurion M-Lok fore end) I get a sore, strained feeling from the knuckle on my pinky almost all the way to my elbow. I notice it more after use rather than during; I also notice that it's as bad or worse if I just the MFG as a hand stop. Has anyone else had this? Would the slight angle of the BCM vertical grip help this? Are there any other remedies for this (changing grip techniques, adjusting the stock, moving the grip forward or backward, etc.)?
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoringGuy45 View Post
    I've found that when I use the thumb break grip with my Magpul MFG (mounted on a Centurion M-Lok fore end) I get a sore, strained feeling from the knuckle on my pinky almost all the way to my elbow. I notice it more after use rather than during; I also notice that it's as bad or worse if I just the MFG as a hand stop. Has anyone else had this? Would the slight angle of the BCM vertical grip help this? Are there any other remedies for this (changing grip techniques, adjusting the stock, moving the grip forward or backward, etc.)?
    Quick picture on how you are actually using it?

My middle finger pretty much lands at the top touching the rail.

And for clarification, I have the rvg mounted to a Geisselle MK8 via the magpul rvg to mlok mount. Just had the 2 grooves in it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by vandal5 View Post
    Quick picture on how you are actually using it?

My middle finger pretty much lands at the top touching the rail.

And for clarification, I have the rvg mounted to a Geisselle MK8 via the magpul rvg to mlok mount. Just had the 2 grooves in it.

IMG_2550.jpg
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Feedback Score
    I believe the bcm angled grip would help.

Feedback Score
    Try it more like I hand stop. Think thumbs forward pistol grip support hand style. Where your fingers aren’t really wrapped around the MFG. I run my tape switch on top similar to you but rest my thumb just forward of it but where I can move it back just a half inch or so to activate my light without changing my grip. I even grind mine down to make them more stubby-like.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Vaquero View Post
    Try it more like I hand stop. Think thumbs forward pistol grip support hand style. Where your fingers aren’t really wrapped around the MFG. I run my tape switch on top similar to you but rest my thumb just forward of it but where I can move it back just a half inch or so to activate my light without changing my grip. I even grind mine down to make them more stubby-like.
    ^^^This. I practically hook my wrist on it.
    Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    I grip my vfg the same way regardless of the manufacturer and dont experience wrist strain
    "your AR is shit, change my mind" - Will Larson

I make work horses, not show ponies.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    That is exactly what I do.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-0- View Post
    I grip my vfg the same way regardless of the manufacturer and dont experience wrist strain
    Maybe I'm aggravating an old injury or something.

I think I'll try training by using the vfg as a handstop for awhile and see if that works.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Maybe I'm aggravating an old injury or something.

I think I'll try training by using the vfg as a handstop for awhile and see if that works.
    That is why I prefer a handstop these days. I like to keep my wrist as straight as possible. Here is one setup I have with a Centurion handguard.

Here is another I have set up with a BCM Mid-16 Mod 2 and a weaponlight using the BCM KAG and a top-mounted tape switch. I rest the heel of my palm on this one due to the handguard length (mid-length).

Even on my M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone that uses a TangoDown VFG, I stil use the VFG as a handstop. Note the tape switch mounted on the top rail.
    Last edited by Renegade04; 09-25-20 at 08:25.
    "A Bad Day At The Range Is Better Than A Great Day Working"

USMC Force Recon 1978-1984
    US Air Force Res. 1995-2004 (Air Transportation)
    M16/AR15 shooter since 1978, gun collector and AR builder since 2004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast