Thread: Mounting rifle while wearing armor

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Mounting rifle while wearing armor

Long story short I decided owning body armor as a civilian wasn't as LARPy as I may have thought as recently as even a year ago. Anyway, I've acquired plates and a carrier and am realizing how much it affects mounting my rifle. The plates are 10X12 single curve shooters cut and I'm running the carrier slick. I believe I'm wearing it correctly, high on the back and just below my jugular notch. When not wearing the carrier I usually mount the rifle feet squared up with the buttstock squarely in my pectoral muscle which keeps my head directly in line with the sighting system. With the armor I have to mount way out on my shoulder which makes me have to cock my head to even see the sights. I tried shortening length of pull doesn't seem to help. Stranger still is I don't have nearly the same issue with the Beretta 1301 as I do with the AR. I still have to make a slight adjustment but not nearly as much as I do with the AR. Any tricks or tips?
    As the great warrior poet Ice-Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This is precisely why you see so many people wearing their plates too low.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What stock are you using?

Maybe something like this would help:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2351297795 (best quick picture of TI-7 I could find)
    Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the President... - Theodore Roosevelt, Lincoln and Free Speech, Metropolitan Magazine, Volume 47, Number 6, May 1918.

Every Communist must grasp the truth. Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun. Our principle is that the Party commands the gun, and the gun must never be allowed to command the Party Mao Zedong, 6 November, 1938 - speech to the Communist Patry of China's sixth Central Committee

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    As a big guy, I find myself running the sling all the way out, even over a relatively flat (single-stack) chest rig. Somebody really ought to invent the XL, XXL, and XXXL sling while they're at it!
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Vag locker I like your avatar. Used to be mine, for years on another site.

What exactly kind of carrier are you running? That can make a difference.

Some yield better shoulder placement than others.

Don't have it riding so fat outboard that you have to lean your head over for a good sight picture. We should only be doing that when shooting with a pro mask.

Rather, let the stock be in contact with the shoulder strap of the carrier. Again, different rigs behave differently in this regard.

Sometimes you"ll need to have your shooting side push a little forward, to create a "pocket" between it and shoulder strap.

Perhaps shorten the LOP of the stock even more. When I shoot with armor, I adjust most carbine stocks all the way in, maybe one notch out, depending on the gun.

If it seems awkward at first, don't worry, it's always that way at first.

You're taking the first steps, and good on ya. I guarantee that through training, experimentation and shooting, you'll find that sweet spot. When you do, do alot of up-drills and things to drive home the muscle memory of said position.

Through training, you'll get there.