Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Colt M4 Commando

Feedback Score

Colt M4 Commando

I have always preferred the fixed carry handle AR-15 / M16 rifles and carbines, especially from the looks viewpoint, but also because I think shooting open sight rifles is a thrill. I have abt 10 of them.

However I did not want to be intolerant and I stumbled upon a good deal for a Colt M4 Commando. The ad was for a rifle with several add-on accessories (as is often the case) and the original parts.

I made an offer for the rifles without all the add-ons and we struck a deal with the seller. The quad rail hand guards stayed on because he did not want to go through the trouble of removing them, and the gunsmith that installed it had not returned the delta ring and the hand guard cap.

From what I’ve read the commando is the same as the M4 Carbine except for the 11.5’’ barrel.

So here it is as it arrived in the mail

After shooting it some with the fixed carry handle sight, I found a deal on a new Leupold LCO red dot optic. I then added a B&T front handle with integrated bipod.

After years of scepticism and resistance, I am sold on this little Carbine, it shoots great, the Leupold red dot is fantastic and it’s a great package.

50 meters indoor range, standing, fixed sights

Rest with red dot

I then took it out to a 200 meters exterior shooting day with some other tools, it performed great

And then I installed a 14.5’’ barrel I had on another Carbine with the intention to shoot at the 300 meters military range

Testing at 50 m indoor

It shot very well at 300 meters.

My intention now is to buy a spare upper and install the 11.5’’ barrel, so that I can have both configurations in a heartbeat, the commando with the Leupold, and the normal Carbine with an ACOG maybe. Found an aero precision upper for sale locally, any opinions on this brand ? TIA.

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    commando's are great guns , you have a rare'ish colt lower there

aero precision is generally pretty good stuff

Feedback Score
    Always uber cool to have the M4 Commando stamp on there. I’d leave the quad rail. We have Colt Commando’s at my work. Some are even of the Made in Canada variant.

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the addition to your collection.

As for Aero Precision, I’ve had nothing but good experiences with their products.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I have Aero parts in multiple guns and they are great.

The dot is great, isn't it. I know what it's like to resist that trend, and then you see what you were missing.....

Wait till you shoot it at night. It's truly a game-changer.

Feedback Score
    It's really cool that your model is actually "M4 COMMANDO". Mine's not, but it did come with a Rogers Super Stock.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Have carried mine on duty for over a decade without issue and we qualify easy out to 200yds and that lil barrel doesn’t hold me back in any way. Absent my 6720, I’d argue all day the 6933 is the ideal lil defensive rifle.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Nice. I’ve really developed a fondness for the shorty ARs.
    At some point I would like to get my own 6933/M4 Commando or at least an upper. I do have the older version though....or about half of one anyway.

Party like it’s 1996! (the year of mfg stamped on the barrel)

LE trade in RO733 “M16A2 Commando” upper on a Stag SBR lower with a few additional Colt parts in it. So I guess it’s like 60% (?) Colt...
    Mine actually came with a SMG style “50M” marked rear aperture sights. Couldn’t say whether it came like that or it was done by whatever agency had it.

Feedback Score
    I also have an old commando, XM 177 E2 from 1967 I believe, although Colt does not communicate on the full autos birth year

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by OLIAR15 View Post
    I made an offer for the rifles without all the add-ons and we struck a deal with the seller. The quad rail hand guards stayed on because he did not want to go through the trouble of removing them, and the gunsmith that installed it had not returned the delta ring and the hand guard cap.

From what I’ve read the commando is the same as the M4 Carbine except for the 11.5’’ barrel.

So here it is as it arrived in the mail
    Colt barrel?

Curious as to what profile yours came with. Barrel looks tiny where it meets the flash hider.

I would be inspecting my stuff upon pickup / receipt from ANY gunsmith. If I was missing any parts that belonged to me I would be saying something about it right away. Especially Colt parts but really any parts missing would be noticed and asked about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast