Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What paint / dye for Magpul furniture?

Feedback Score

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    Alcohol is kinda hard to find these days, what about brake cleaner?
    Use something like Dawn or Simple Green and warm water. I've dyed mags and stocks without using anything heavy duty.

Bill Tidler Jr.

...We have long maintained that the only accessories that a 1911 needs are a trigger you can manage, sights that you can see, and a dehorning job. That still goes.
    ~Jeff Cooper

Feedback Score
    Rit dye if far superior to painting of any type. Easy to dye and it will last forever unlike paint. Looks great as well.

Feedback Score
    +1 for rit. I dyed a magpul AFG like 8 years ago and it hasn't shown any sign of the original OD shining through.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I Rit dyed a FDE Magpul PRS and M93 stock. Dye would NOT fuse to the M93 stock. Turned my PRS stock a 50/50 of black and deep blue.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Interesting to know RIT dye works. I'd assume lighter colors like fde and grey would take the dye better. How long do you dye them for?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I'm not sure how well the OD will take the dye. It's typically better to start with FDE or Sand colored polymer parts if you want to achieve a specific color.

The recipe I used at one point was 1 tablespoon of liquid dye per quart of water in a big pot, held at 140 degrees F. 10 minutes or so got me the color I wanted each time, but take it out every couple of minutes to check. Rinse well with cold tap water after it's been removed from the dye. Suspend the parts in the dye using string tied off to a spatula or something similar so they're not resting on the bottom of the pot.

Last edited by Leonidas24; 09-27-20 at 18:10.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)

I like rit dye and rustoleum for gun purposes.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rat View Post

I like rit dye and rustoleum for gun purposes.
    Whoa, that's cool.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leonidas24 View Post
    I'm not sure how well the OD will take the dye. It's typically better to start with FDE or Sand colored polymer parts if you want to achieve a specific color.

The recipe I used at one point was 1 tablespoon of liquid dye per quart of water in a big pot, held at 140 degrees F. 10 minutes or so got me the color I wanted each time, but take it out every couple of minutes to check. Rinse well with cold tap water after it's been removed from the dye. Suspend the parts in the dye using string tied off to a spatula or something similar so they're not resting on the bottom of the pot.

That's pretty neat! What color dye did you use to get the FDE to turn brown?

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by georgeib View Post
    That's pretty neat! What color dye did you use to get the FDE to turn brown?
    That was from 10 years ago, but I think dark brown liquid Rit Dye.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast