Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linear Compensator for an "Everything Else" Carbine

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

Linear Compensator for an "Everything Else" Carbine

There is an excellent "sticky" thread on General Purpose carbines that is biased towards home/self defense, patrol rifles, SHTF - fighting guns first.

My question assumes a reverse of that bias and leans towards hunting, range, ranch rifle-type use while still remaining a valid fighting gun. Competition is outside the use case. To keep the debate focused, let's assume a 16 - 20" 5.56 carbine.

Within those conditions is a linear compensator more appropriate than a traditional flash hider or combination FH/brake?

Is hiding flash with some compensation more important than pushing the muzzle 1.5" further from the shooter?

Why aren't linear compensators more popular?

Andy

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    What is the desired result you're looking to get from a linear comp on a 16-20" rifle?

The best linear comp on the market is the BRT Covert Comp. Most are just glorified flash cans but the BRT actually pushes the blast forward and offers flash reduction that is so good it's hard to tell the difference between it and an A2 birdcage. I use them on my 10.5 and 11.5" guns but I don't see much point using one on a rifle.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Five_Point_Five_Six View Post
    What is the desired result you're looking to get from a linear comp on a 16-20" rifle?

The best linear comp on the market is the BRT Covert Comp. Most are just glorified flash cans but the BRT actually pushes the blast forward and offers flash reduction that is so good it's hard to tell the difference between it and an A2 birdcage. I use them on my 10.5 and 11.5" guns but I don't see much point using one on a rifle.
    My desired result from using a linear comp is reducing blast at the shooter' and/or companion's ear. That is the only advantage I am aware of over other muzzle devices.

I also have a BRT comp on a short (11.3") barrel and mine started life on a 20" gun. I did not realize they are more effective than competitors' offerings, but I knew the quality is there.

EDIT - as Turnburglar pointed out, the blast of the 20" barrel is mild enough that I did not notice a difference when I replaced it with an A2 and moved it to an 11.3" barrel.
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-27-20 at 13:25.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    For a longer barrel 16+" an A2 is basically the same as a linear compensator. I used to have a big can on the front of my 10.5" and it made it blast similar to my 14.5. But once the barrel length gets longer, the effect of blast reduction isn't as significant. I remember shooting the 20" M16A2's in basic with an A2 flash hider and it was remarkably pleasant.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Linear Comps have not been overly effective from what I have seen in first hand use.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    I don't remember the brands, but a friend of mine had two different LC's on two different SBR's. One was noticeably more effective than the other. The better one significantly reduced the noise signature, the other one had almost no effect.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Linear Comps have not been overly effective from what I have seen in first hand use.
    I find that compared to a Battlecomp & an A2 birdcage, the BRT Covert Comp has significantly reduced side blast when used on an 11.5 inch barrel. The Covert Comp virtually eliminates side blast. Of course it is still loud. It's not a muffler!
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I have a BRT Covert Comp on a 10.3" gun. It is noticeably less blast than an A2 on a 10.3'. I was quite surprised. Looks pretty good too!
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    I'd like to see a side by side comparison to a bare muzzle. The few I've been around sound like over priced thread protectors to me.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    I'd like to see a side by side comparison to a bare muzzle. The few I've been around sound like over priced thread protectors to me.
    Same.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast