Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different cuts of plate for front and back?

Feedback Score

Different cuts of plate for front and back?

I'm looking into getting plates and I've set on getting multi-curve shooters cut plates for the front since being able to shoulder my rifle is of primary concern. I've been wondering if I should run medium SAPIs in the back or the same shooters cut plates. The plates will be from the same manufacturer (Hesco) and rating of course. But I've been wondering if this was something that was typically done? If it causes any unforeseen consequences from the weights of the plate being slightly different?

Or is the difference between a 10x12 shooters cut and a medium SAPI so negligible that I should just go with the same plate in the back to save some money and weight?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Most dudes I know run identical plates front and rear.

You could 'game' armor to get the most surface area covered, but honestly real life doesn't work that way.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have SAPI cut medium plates in my JPC. Recently I got a slickster as a low profile option. With everything happening I felt like it’s not a bad idea to have plates in a less tacticool carrier. This time I went with a 10x12 SAPI cut rear but a swimmers cut front.

I noticed that running a full SAPI plate I had to cant my rifle when I shoulder it. With the swimmers my rifle is more vertical in the shoulder. I’m still seeing which I like more.
    I am part of that power which eternally wills evil, and eternally works good.

Feedback Score
    Sick. Yeah I'm a slim guy and when I tried on my friend's SAPI plates, the stock was on the corner of the plate and when I switched to shooters, I was able to have a straight stock on my shoulder pocket.
    How is running swimmers in the front and SAPI in the back?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocMaynard View Post
    Sick. Yeah I'm a slim guy and when I tried on my friend's SAPI plates, the stock was on the corner of the plate and when I switched to shooters, I was able to have a straight stock on my shoulder pocket.
    How is running swimmers in the front and SAPI in the back?
    I’m pretty slim as well 5-9 and 160lbs. I wear a size small T-shirt.

I haven’t run a carbine with the Slickster yet but just wearing it you can feel a little more freedom of movement. For instance, shooting a pistol with the JPC and SAPI plates I can’t lock my arms out holding the pistol in front. I know you don’t have to lock your arms, just making an example of reduction of range of motion. With the swimmers cut plates I can lock my arms out in front of me.

Feedback Score
    How is running the SAPI in the back? Does the difference cause the carrier to wear differently? Or do you find that the SAPIs get in the way of or rub on your shoulder blades or something?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    How is running the SAPI in the back? Does the difference cause the carrier to wear differently? Or do you find that the SAPIs get in the way of or rub on your shoulder blades or something?
    A medium SAPI plate feels fine on my back. Never felt it to be a problem. I ran my JPC a couple days at two separate Costa rifle classes and at a local instructor class as well. Never felt uncomfortable.

Feedback Score
    Thanks good to know! What made you go with the SAPI on the rear? And what plates do you run? I’ve been thinking of just going with the shooters/swimmers in the back to save some weight.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks good to know! What made you go with the SAPI on the rear? And what plates do you run? I’ve been thinking of just going with the shooters/swimmers in the back to save some weight.
    My first setup was the JPC + SAPI. From what I understood the original JPC was cut for SAPI plates and they fit like a glove. No movement at all. I went with stand along level 4 plates from BulletproofMe. The company was recommended here by a few members and when I checked them out it seemed to be a good choice. They are NIJ tested and have a triple curve plate option which ended up feeling pretty damn comfortable. There was a torture test video of one of their plates on YT but it seems to have been taken down. That plate took a lot of punishment, way more than I pray I ever encounter.

When I went to order a second set, the SAPI plates were on back order but they did have 10x12s in both standard and swimmers cut. I ordered one of each for the reasons I expressed earlier. It was my back up carrier so I felt it safe to try something different. I can always swap plates back and forth if I choose to. One note tho, the swimmers cut plate in the Slickster causes the carrier to have "extra" material in the corners since it's not filled with plate. The carrier isn't cut for a swimmers plate so I get it. The plate still stays put and doesn't move FWIW. The JPC2.0 can be ordered with a swimmers cut plate pocket, I am sure other carriers can be as well. I would imagine that eliminating the empty space dilemma but then you won't be able to run a regular cut plate so its 6 in one half dozen in the other.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex V View Post
    I have SAPI cut medium plates in my JPC. Recently I got a slickster as a low profile option. With everything happening I felt like it’s not a bad idea to have plates in a less tacticool carrier. This time I went with a 10x12 SAPI cut rear but a swimmers cut front.

I noticed that running a full SAPI plate I had to cant my rifle when I shoulder it. With the swimmers my rifle is more vertical in the shoulder. I’m still seeing which I like more.
    I am researching ordering plates and had the same idea - SAPI in the rear and Shooters in the front...you went with 10x12 SAPI rear which is Medium, but Shooters cuts are only Small and Large - I assume you went with a Large shooters cut in the front?

True 10x12 plates are a tad too large for me, so Im thinking a Medium SAPI for the rear and a Small Shooters for the front.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast