Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18" 5.56 Rifle Build

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)

18" 5.56 Rifle Build

I was looking to build a rifle gas AR that carries more magification than my 1-4 LPVO equipped 16" guns. Use is primarily shooting targets, varmints, maybe deer or antelope - you could very loosely call it a SPR build. I wanted it to be suitable for more than simply carrying back and forth between the house and the range. This was a work in progress and took a few years to finalize.

I ended up with a soft shooting 9 lb rifle gassed 18" gun. The LaRue trigger is nice, and the CHF barrel appears to have decent precision potential. I love and hate the Noveske NHR rail, it's solid and has a great profile, but it seems like it fought me during every installation step. I think the scope is well matched to a 5.56, and it seems to be decent glass. It is NOT a cutting edge gun, for sure.

1v46MZD.jpg

With my 11.3 pistol

vv7jl47.jpg

A lady co-worker shot this 5 shot group at 50 meters with it.

ywRJnY5.jpg

Parts list:
    Stripped Sabre Defence upper and lower receivers
    Phosphate SDI carrier and HPT/MPI bolt with springco extractor spring
    BCM A5 receiver extension, A5H2 buffer, and mil-spec rifle spring
    LPK - ALG parts, LaRue 2 stage trigger and Sionics ambi safety
    Phosphate 18" CHF Rainier Mountain series, 1/7 twist with an A2 FH and Troy LPGB
    16.7" Noveske keymod/picatinny hybrid rail
    Magpul STR stock, Ergo pistol grip
    Vortex PST 2.5-10x32 FFP scope, Warne x-skel mount
    Last edited by AndyLate; 09-29-20 at 08:03.

Feedback Score
    Looks very nice my friend.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I am having really good luck with my Rainier UltraMatch 18” barrel. I think you will be pleased with yours.

Rifle looks nice Andy!
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thank you both.

I know the UltraMatch barrels will shoot circles around the chrome lined CHF ones, but this barrel certainly shows potential.

The last range trip was interesting. I was shooting decent groups zeroing at 50 meters then my co-worker put me to shame by just hammering little groups one after another. She was on fire.

Andy

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Has your co-worker shot before? If not, always fun to get someone new into shooting and they come out of the gates like that.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    Thank you both.

I know the UltraMatch barrels will shoot circles around the chrome lined CHF ones, but this barrel certainly shows potential.

The last range trip was interesting. I was shooting decent groups zeroing at 50 meters then my co-worker put me to shame by just hammering little groups one after another. She was on fire.

Andy
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrodder636 View Post
    Has your co-worker shot before? If not, always fun to get someone new into shooting and they come out of the gates like that.
    She had not fired a gun before a year or so ago when I introduced her to shooting, but tags along to 1 or 2 times a month now (well, pre-panic ammo shortage).

Feedback Score
    Nice. 18 inch and 11.5 are becoming my favorite lengths. My 18 inches tend more towards ‘gaming’ with adjustable gas and a brake. The ability to read your own splash on distance shots, even in non-optimal positions, is great.

Nice rifle.
    The Second Amendment ACKNOWLEDGES our right to own and bear arms that are in common use that can be used for lawful purposes. The arms can be restricted ONLY if subject to historical analogue from the founding era or is dangerous (unsafe) AND unusual.

It's that simple.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Man Im diggin those rifles...Id like to run that 11.3 especially. I almost, really almost, went with that same barrel on my spr, but was dead set on a 20" barrel, which I didnt see in that line, so I went with a Criterion.
    What ammo did yall use for the 50 yard group? Good on you for taking the lady shooting, thats awesome.
    Show us some 100yds groups when you can, I bet if you could score some Black hills or IMI 69/77 grainers it would be tack driver.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    Man Im diggin those rifles...Id like to run that 11.3 especially. I almost, really almost, went with that same barrel on my spr, but was dead set on a 20" barrel, which I didnt see in that line, so I went with a Criterion.
    What ammo did yall use for the 50 yard group? Good on you for taking the lady shooting, thats awesome.
    Show us some 100yds groups when you can, I bet if you could score some Black hills or IMI 69/77 grainers it would be tack driver.
    I'm pretty sure that group was 50 gr tipped Federal American Eagle. We took a variety of ammo and handloads to the range that day.

After my back is fixed I will shoot some 100 or 200 yard groups hopefully.

Andy

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Damn nice build! Looks like it's got alot of potential, which you are already seeing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast