Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CDL, is it a pain to get?

Feedback Score

CDL, is it a pain to get?

Does anyone currently have their CDL? I have no dreams about being an over the road trucker but was thinking about starting the process to get mine, really just to have it incase of a career change someday. Is it worth getting now if I have no plans of driving a commercial vehicle? Is it as much of a pain in the ass as people say?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic79 View Post
    Does anyone currently have their CDL? I have no dreams about being an over the road trucker but was thinking about starting the process to get mine, really just to have it incase of a career change someday. Is it worth getting now if I have no plans of driving a commercial vehicle? Is it as much of a pain in the ass as people say?
    From my experience, it's worth nothing to have unless you need it, and generally when you do need it (short of OTR Trucking) your employer will pay for you to get it.

You're only going to find it hard if:

You can't pass a drug test.
    You can't bend over and touch your toes.
    You can't hear well out of an ear, or both.
    You can't lift 20-50 pounds.
    You can't complete menial tasks that do little to nothing for commercial driving.
    Oh, and can't pass a blood sugar test.

Otherwise, it's just an hour or two out of your life to appease a government middle man that has little interest in seeing results and more interest in collecting testing fees and victimless "criminal" fines.
    Last edited by HeruMew; 09-29-20 at 12:39.

Feedback Score
    I have a Class A that I got since I work for a truck manufacturer. I used to work in tech support and would get tired of waiting for a CDL driver at a dealer to road test. It was not hard but you do need to practice the basic maneuvers (including backing up and parking) and you have to understand truck and trailer operation. Then you have to pass a DOT physical as well (you can Google those requirements). I didn’t find any of it particularly challenging but I do feel it makes you a better driver (you learn about physics and that big vehicles handle differently). You also learn how inconsiderate many smaller vehicle drivers are.

Feedback Score
    Unaware of your location, but some resort towns will help you get a CDL, and not charge you if you commit to and last a Season.
    Short supply in locations.
    Younger days as a ski bum in Mammoth lakes they need bus drivers ( Class B, Airbrakes & passenger endorsement . Got Mine lasted the season,
    Didn't pay for training, used that to land a job in JH Wy River Rat. Went to work for a helicopter co. added hazmat and tanker. Last truck I drove was a peter built 6x6.
    Kept the CDL just in case, more office than blue collar at my age 58.
    Be aware in some states if you take your test on an automatic that all you can drive, If you take on a manual you're good for either.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I got mine back when there was no class time required. The only hard part was the pre trip inspection test, there's so many things to remember. Definitely got to study for that one. The road test, written test, and air brake test were all a breeze, similar to the tests when you first get your license. There are certain things you need to be more aware of when driving a truck, you want to pay attention to signs, be aware of and prepare for upcoming steep grades, you need to drive defensively and be prepared to get cut off on the regular.

Nowdays there's weeks of classtime training required, more for a class A, less for a class B. Actually I'm not sure if that's a state requirement or federal requirement. You might want to look into that.

Also be aware that you will be required to take random drug tests. You will also need to pass a physical every two years. If you have a condition like high blood pressure you will be required to take a physical more often than that.
    Last edited by kirkland; 09-29-20 at 13:36.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had mine since 1991. No idea how the process is now. Back then you just read the state CDL book, took the written test, then had to perform a pre trip inspection and road test.
    The only thing I have to do now is take the HAZMAT test and get fingerprinted every 5 years to keep that endorsement.
    Oh and pass a DOT physical exam every 2 years. Some people have get a DOT physical every 6 months or annually if they have certain health conditions.
    You won't outvote the corruption.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Feedback Score
    Coming from an Arizona perspective (not sure how the various states differ), high blood pressure and diabetes (controlled) are two conditions under which you have to do an annual physical. I'm sure there are others. If you are insulin-dependent, that's an automatic disqualification from obtaining a CDL.

If you take the road test in a truck with a manual transmission, excessive grinding of gears (probably up to the evaluator's opinion) is a fail, but if you pass you're good for both manual and automatic transmissions. If you take the test with an automatic transmission, you're restricted to that type. I think this only came about in the last few years.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    I have kept my CDL Class B active and physicals up to date, but haven’t driven for years.

I would say that unless you are going to use it, it is a waste of time to go out and get a Class A. Why? The best companies will look for a year of experience to consider you anyway. And, you truly do have to practice to be able to pass a driving test.

If it interests you, though, plenty of places are hiring, and it doesn’t have to take much to make back the cost of a good local CDL driving school. Our guys almost can’t make less than $75,000.

Feedback Score
    I’ve had a CDL since 88, the testing procedure is much more difficult now. Better study the book pretty closely.

My blood pressure went over 140/90 at my last DOT card physical, it is quite an ordeal now trying to pass good enough to get a one year card. I am only a local driver and never leave the state, but my employer still wants me to have the card. Doing everything in my power to overcome ‘white coat syndrome’ and lower my pressure at the time of testing.

Feedback Score
    I will also say I’ve had my A for 4 years now. I don’t use it but it is damn nice to be able to rent a big truck if I need to, or give a ride in one of our mfr plated trucks at work if someone needs it. But the largest benefit for me, the license facility is on my way home from work. I don’t have to drive 15 miles out of the way and fight ridiculous lines to get a renewal. For that, I’ll keep mine as long as I work where I do. Also, we have an on-site doctor to administer the CDL physicals. So it’s super easy for me. And my 7 year old son thinks is SO COOL that I can drive a big truck and fly a plane. Yep..... that’s the best part.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast