Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PDW??

Feedback Score

PDW??

I am looking at getting a new PDW, my thoughts are the Springfield Armory PDW, anyone have any experience with one ? Any other ideas out there, what are you guys shooting? I already have mid and long range builds, this will strictly be for 0-50; 5.56 only please.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Don't use anything shorter than 10.3 unless you have specific loads for it.
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedWillis View Post
    Don't use anything shorter than 10.3 unless you have specific loads for it.
    What would those loads be in 5.56? I can't think of one that works well in sub-10" barrels. Now if you're talking close enough that the perp has powder burns, maybe.....
    11C2P '83-'87
    Airborne Infantry
    F**k China!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    What would those loads be in 5.56? I can't think of one that works well in sub-10" barrels. Now if you're talking close enough that the perp has powder burns, maybe.....
    No personal experience but I've seen GD 55gr and I believe Hornady 55gr OTM do well in gel tests from 7.5in barrels.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ABNAK View Post
    I was just assuming someone in a basement somewhere had some crazy flechette 556 rounds out of a 7.5" barrel that I had not learned about yet
    98% Sarcastic. 100% Overthinking things and making up reasons for buying a new firearm.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Just so its been said, below 10" barrel length, 556 starts to get into some pretty negative trade offs, where other calibers do a better job.

There are a handful of specific 556 loads that show good performance below 2000 fps; bulk FMJ will not.

Our 9" PDW runs nicely, and maintains good velocities up to ~2400 fps, but is quite blasty.

It would be hard to recommend anything shorter that's actually intended to be shot much.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Sub 10" barreled AR's is the realm of .300 blk.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by echofiveniner View Post
    I am looking at getting a new PDW, my thoughts are the Springfield Armory PDW, anyone have any experience with one ? Any other ideas out there, what are you guys shooting? I already have mid and long range builds, this will strictly be for 0-50; 5.56 only please.
    To each their own, but I figure there are lots of reasons why 5.56 isn’t successful in the PDW role. NATO came up with the bottlenecked 4.7 & 5.7 cartridges, Knights developed the 6.35 and US Army just selected the 9mm B&T https://soldiersystems.net/2019/04/0...ompact-weapon/.

I personally moved to dedicated 9mm platforms for the PDW use - footprint, signature, etc. I made that decision after trying a 7.5” 5.56 upper for a few months, which I determined was a major negative for inside smaller structures and inside vehicles due to the blast. The gun and ammo size were large for concealed PDW use. YMMW, but seemed to be all the wrong compromises for my use.

That said, Springfield has some cool concepts in their Saint line. Not sure I trust their work, but the components might be worth cloning with a slightly longer barrel.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have lots of experience on 10.5 Ar's and my CZ scorpion. I have a little range time behind an 8" AR and I don't think it does anything my 10.5 556 doesn't do better or just grab the 9mm.

FWIW speer Gold Dot has been tested to expand down to 1700 FPS. So that might be a viable load for your headache machine.
    Tactical Nylon Micro Brewery

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HardToHandle View Post
    I personally moved to dedicated 9mm platforms for the PDW use - footprint, signature, etc.
    Which one(s)?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast