Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: PDW??

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    My PD is part of a rather large multi jurisdictional SWAT team. They selected the Springfield Armory Saint as their primary AR platform. These have 7.5 inch barrels with a blast can (?) On the barrel. They're absolutely obnoxious. This is a photo I took on an indoor range with one of them. Ammo was Winchester Q3131 55 grain. I would much prefer something with three or four more inches of barrel and a BRT Covert Comp on the end.

Teams which are using 7.5" barreled 5.56 weapons have not done their homework and research. It is sinful to allow it, and I would hope that Springfield tried to sway them to another package.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    No personal experience but I've seen GD 55gr and I believe Hornady 55gr OTM do well in gel tests from 7.5in barrels.
    Please post those results. Real world experiences have shown the 7.5" barrels to be a novelty with no use for departments or others doing Gods work.
    Stick

Board policy mandates I state that I shoot for BCM. I have also done work for 200 or so manufacturers within the firearm community. I am prior service, a full time LEO, firearm instructor, armorer, TL, martial arts instructor, and all around good guy.

I also shoot and write for various publications. Let me know if you know cool secrets or have toys worthy of an article...

Flickr Tumblr Facebook Instagram RECOILMAGAZINE OFF GRID RECOIL WEB

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stickman View Post
    Please post those results. Real world experiences have shown the 7.5" barrels to be a novelty with no use for departments or others doing Gods work.
    Wasn't me. It was a video I found when searching for results. Youtube vid of a guy shooting a 7.5 into gel blocks. If I can find it again I'll post it

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    Wasn't me. It was a video I found when searching for results. Youtube vid of a guy shooting a 7.5 into gel blocks. If I can find it again I'll post it

I know what you are talking about. Poboyspecial's gel test is questionable at best. Other guys like Buffmanrange also shot GDSPs out of 7.5" barrels and could not replicate the velocities.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by vicious_cb View Post
    I know what you are talking about. Poboyspecial's gel test is questionable at best. Other guys like Buffmanrange also shot GDSPs out of 7.5" barrels and could not replicate the velocities.
    Yes that might have been it. Sounds familiar.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I would likewise urge the OP to consider a true PDW or 300 BO. The only thing I regret about my CZ Scorpion is not having 5 times more ammo for it than I actually do.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by signal4l View Post
    My PD is part of a rather large multi jurisdictional SWAT team. They selected the Springfield Armory Saint as their primary AR platform. These have 7.5 inch barrels with a blast can (?) On the barrel. They're absolutely obnoxious. This is a photo I took on an indoor range with one of them. Ammo was Winchester Q3131 55 grain. I would much prefer something with three or four more inches of barrel and a BRT Covert Comp on the end.
    Holy ****. I am so sorry. So many good options and this is what they got? How did they even arrive there? It is not like Springfield has a large LE presence otherwise.

And this is coming from someone who is not dogmatic enough to say that a 7.5in 5.56 has no serious use anywhere. However as a primary rifle of an entry team it is an absolute non starter.

As far as a PDW. I am a big believer is .300 blackout for the role. There are a couple good options. The Sig Rattler is probably the best if size is the absolute biggest consideration. The Noveske PDW might be worth a look. The Q HB has an adjustable gas block so I don’t recommend it for anything outside of being a toy and Instagram model. I have no experience with the Maxim PDX or the DD PDW.
    Last edited by call_me_ski; 10-01-20 at 00:15.

Feedback Score
    You need to define the mission.

Mission;

short compact vehicle gun, that I might have to pull out if I drive into something bad.

Mission;

short compact shoulder fired weapon that I can fit into a small backpack that will not scream rifle bag for covert carry

Two different missions, which need different tools to solve.

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by yoni View Post
    You need to define the mission.

Mission;

short compact vehicle gun, that I might have to pull out if I drive into something bad.

Mission;

short compact shoulder fired weapon that I can fit into a small backpack that will not scream rifle bag for covert carry

Two different missions, which need different tools to solve.
    Yes, OP still has to define what he thinks a PDW is. I assume that he’s not equipping a tank or aircraft crew, so what are we talking about here?

Whoever picked that 7.5” for that agency should find another job. Irresponsible.
    RLTW

“What’s New” button, but without GD: https://www.m4carbine.net/search.php...new&exclude=60 , courtesy of ST911.

Disclosure: I am affiliated PRN with a tactical training center, but I speak only for myself. I have no idea what we sell, other than CLP and training. I receive no income from sale of hard goods.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I have played around with a few things so I will share my experience toying around.

Anything under 10.5" in 5.56 really isn't worth it. Especially if you wind up throwing a flash can on it because you end up at 10.5 anyway. You are also handicapping your ballistics by going shorter.

I will agree that if you want to go that short in a rifle cartridge 300 is the way to go. After trying this out, it still wasn't worth it to me. Mine was a 8.3". It was still very obnoxious unsupressed. Having to keep different ammo around was not worth shaving 2" of size off.

If you want to go 9mm I think you need to figure out if you are going to suppress it. If no suppressor I suggest going around 8". You squeeze a little more juice out of the 9mm that way. It also gives you more room for your support hand and room to mount anything. I found that when running a suppressor on this size gun though some rounds that might otherwise be subsonic might get going just fast enough to go super and crack. Plus the gun starts to get pretty long again. So when running a 9mm suppressed I prefer to be in the 4-5" range. This is a nice small package but does very little extra that a rds equipped pistol doesn't do.

I honestly kind of gave up on the whole idea though because I am honestly not going to be carrying a shoulder fired weapon around with me. And if for some reason I have too I guess my 10.5 with law folder will have to do.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast