Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: PDW??

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    I have played around with a few things so I will share my experience toying around.

Anything under 10.5" in 5.56 really isn't worth it. Especially if you wind up throwing a flash can on it because you end up at 10.5 anyway. You are also handicapping your ballistics by going shorter.

I will agree that if you want to go that short in a rifle cartridge 300 is the way to go. After trying this out, it still wasn't worth it to me. Mine was a 8.3". It was still very obnoxious unsupressed. Having to keep different ammo around was not worth shaving 2" of size off.
    I put together an 8 inch 7.62x39 AR.

It worked fine the first trip out, then started having problems and I gave up and sold it.

But anyway yes, it was still obnoxious and made big fireballs with the Russian ammo. I put a ventriloquist device on it (I forget the brand of linear compensator) and it helped when firing outside and a little inside.

Later I got a Romy AK with a 10? Inch barrel 7.62x39 and put a linear on that. The pistol worked fine. Muzzleblast was much better and tolerable, except for the flames. The fix for that was Hornady ballistic tip ammo. (V-Max, SST) it had flash-suppressed powder.

So I agree .300 with a 10+ inch barrel is the way to go, especially if you want to suppress it with subs. Or go with a longer 5.56.

If you want really short, 9mm.
    Last edited by Ron3; 10-02-20 at 07:42.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    I have a relative who was issued one. He sent me pics a while ago. As far as I know it was in 556 but I didn't even think there was a 30 carbine version. You see a specific firearm you assume it's chambered in XYZ

Originally he was military border patrol. After getting stabbed he did something in plain clothes and was issued a G19 and a micro Galil.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    I just called a friend of mine that is a general in MAGAV, which is the acronym for the Border Police.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel_Border_Police

My friend who has served in a variety of roles and units, firearms instructor, anti terror instructor, YAMAS, and now in command staff. He said MAGAV at one time had some Galion as we called it in Hebrew which is the SBR with a 13.1 " . I remember that in MAGAV, we had some guys with Galion's but they were few and far between.

So I am not sure if your cousin was in MAGAV or an IDF unit that is a unit that sits on borders as the primary duty. Then where he went to plain clothes, who knows. But getting stabbed sounds to me like he was in MAGAV, since that organization has the most contact with Palistinians on a day in and day out basis. It is possible that he was in MAGAV, got stabbed and switched over to a plain cloths unit in the regular police called the blue police as a detective of some kind. I know the blue police had and more than likely still have Mcro Galils in .30 cal carbine.

MAGAV used to have 2 elite units, Israel's most elite anti terror unit YAMAM, then the most elite undercover unit much better than the undercover unit of the IDF YAMAS. But times change now MAGAV has detectives and even traffic units.

My position has always been the business of the IDF should be wars with nation states. MAGAV should take care of the Palestinians, in both anti terror operations, undercover operations and just kicking their ass every day to remind them we are the bosses in our land.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jesuvuah View Post
    I honestly kind of gave up on the whole idea though because I am honestly not going to be carrying a shoulder fired weapon around with me. And if for some reason I have too I guess my 10.5 with law folder will have to do.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
    Good summary--I've been interested in PDW concept the last year and went around and around on this issue, researched options, range-tested .300 AR's (DD) and a couple of 9mm PDWs (CZ, Ruger Charger) that I could access from my rental range and a buddy had the DD. I can see the case for these in some LE/mil situations. For me as a civilian it seemed like more hassle and expense for small if any gain, in the situations I might actually use it. In the end I stuck with my 9mm pistols and standard-length 5.56 rifles.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345