Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peltor Comtac

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Peltor Comtac

READ ME: It appears the headset from Strobels is a hearing defender model and does not include a radio downlead.

I got so irritated watching well used/trashed Comtac III's sell for multiple hundreds of dollars on Ebay, so I started looking around for something new. I wanted a single comm set.
    I found the cheapest I could find (new) is from https://www.strobelssupply.com/catal.../?q=7100202848. With the 5% coupon code, strobels5, they are $487 delivered for the VI single com.
    I called and asked about any delay. I was told they drop ship after being made to order and to expect a 1 month wait. Sure, no problem. Well, they came in today. Only a 2 week wait.
    To my surprise, and you all may know this, the box included a set of gel cups with the foam set, and the adapter set for helmet rails.

Ok, now my question. I shoot lefty and swapped the mic to the right side. The lead seems a bit short since it now goes to the rear of the muff. Did I do something stupid? Do I need a different mic?

Also, are most push to talk wired the same? I have one, but I don't want to fry anything. I've reached out to the manufacturer as well. This is the PTT I have for my Baofeng https://www.coderedheadsets.com/NX-S...single-ptt.htm

ETA: 3M finally gave me an answer about lefty use. Apparently my model is not compatible. I asked to exchange for a model I could use and they said no.
    If anybody knows if there is a longer mic lead out there, let me know.

ETAA: So I called 3M today and got a total runaround. I’m not sure what their deal is. I gave SRS Tactical a call and the guy there offered to build me an extension cable ($40). So 7 minutes on the phone and done. I think 3M should have helped me out, and the price of the headset is very high to be adding more cost to, but at least I have a solution.

UPDATE: received my extension cable today. Works great.
    Last edited by czgunner; 10-30-20 at 16:43.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

Peltor Comtac

Fellow lefty. I didn’t realize until now they changed the plug locations on the 6, I had a set of single comm 3s. The plugs are on the rear of both cups on the 3s, so maybe the mic from the 3s has a longer lead?

Also what radio are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rfairman; 09-29-20 at 22:46.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the lead on the Comtac iv's. I got a set of iv's for a great price.

I will also try the PTT you have for my Baofeng.

10 years in the Outback and out of focus with new products...bear with me.

Feedback Score
    I run Motorola digital (encryptied) radios and both Peltor ComTac III and old MSA Sordins headsets. Recently upgraded to a couple of ComTac VI NIB headsets. The VI’s look very promising, but to early to pass judgement. The NiB feature, with headset to headset close quarter comms could be very useful in specialized situation, especially high ambient noise environments.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link OP. I needed another set of Comtac IIIs but yeah they have been commanding stupid prices lately....

Does the plug in PTT from the IIIs work on this model?
    Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the link OP. I needed another set of Comtac IIIs but yeah they have been commanding stupid prices lately....

Thanks for your help.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowdown3 View Post

Thanks for your help.

Both the ComTac III and VI (if equipped with single or dual comms wiring) use a standard NATO downlead. So, depending on your radio model you need an adapter, which may include the PTT button. My original 3M Peltor adapters, with PPT, works fine with both III’s and VI’s.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Ben Franklin

Feedback Score
    Thanks.

I did the custom adapter thing for my older Icoms. The custom cord was almost $200. each. Then I found some knockoff PRC152s that take the standard PTT interface and they have been working out well- cleared about 10 miles on "high power" when we were testing them.

Feedback Score
    I received my Contact IV's from Strobels, and I can't find the downblead plug to the PTT...

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrotz View Post
    I received my Contact IV's from Strobels, and I can't find the downblead plug to the PTT...

Doesn’t look like it’s set up with a downlead.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast