Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMT Lightning

Feedback Score

AMT Lightning

While picking up a pair of 70ies S&W K frame at the LGS (and indulging in a Colt 1911 military retro), I spotted this little guy in a cabinet.

I had never seen or heard of this one. Obviously it’s a stainless Ruger Mark II target / bull barrel with a Millett sight, some tweaks and a different brand / markings and I’m a sucker for the (cheap) oddball, as long as it’s both stylish and functional. And I got a $100 off, LGS said it’s been there a long time

Fitting since I already have a bigger one

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    IF I can recall correctly, please forgive me if Im wrong-
    I definately remember AMT from the 70's. The Longslide .45ACP 1911 made me drool as well as the Hardballer 1911.
    Seems to me they were the first, or one of the first, to start manufacturing guns out of stainless steel.
    They did not have it down pat, as the gns had a terrible reputation for galling. Went out of business due to it, as I think I recall.
    Thats a NICE piece, and the Ruger line of .22 autos have always been my favs...as well as the OLD High Standards. Ruger sued AMT and won, forcing them to stop manufacterig them.
    That Auto Mag....Im dyin here!
    Youve got excellent taste in firearms & I always enjoy your posts.
    Last edited by Straight Shooter; 09-30-20 at 12:34.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Very cool. Here's some more info on AMT: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcadia_Machine_%26_Tool

I actually lived in the area in the mid 80's and actually went to high school in Covina. Their Hardballer Longslide was used in the movie 'Terminator'. As you have found out, they also made copies of Ruger firearms. I have an AMT Lightning 25/22 .22lr rifle (my first rifle, by the way, which I got in 1984) which was a direct copy of the Ruger 10/22 in stainless, but put in a folding stock. I still have it.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I remember drooling over the AMT Hardballer Longslide when I was a kid.

Gettin' down innagrass.
    Let's Go Brandon!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by titsonritz View Post
    I remember drooling over the AMT Hardballer Longslide when I was a kid.

Ive had a lifelong love of longslides because of that gun & that movie!
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I remember these being placed on the LGS shelves/ display cases one week then gone the next. Not sure if this occurred when lawsuit happened or the three or four of them got sold right quick. That and there clone of the 10/22 got them squarel6 in Rugers attorneys sights (pun intended) for a long time. Both were good shooters, there 1911 iterations ,meh not so much. Thanks for the blast from the past!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I do remember the Ruger sued AMT over the design of that gun. AMT had a very interesting history. My father had a few AMT pistols when I was growing up in the late 80s/early 90s. I remember enjoying shooting the hard baller as a child.

Years ago I inherited an AMT Automag ii from my father, that pistol is chambered in .22WMR. It’s a fun pistol to plink with, it spits massive fireballs from the muzzle with the magnum ammo but it’s so very unreliable. Either FTF or FTE every 3-4 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    The Lightnings are pretty cool, and most MKII parts will fit them if repairs are ever needed, same with magazines.

Andy

Feedback Score
    Brought the pistol home from the LGS today.

I really like it, seems to be in great condition and a quality weapon, fit and finish are impressive. Quite heavy too for a .22, with the bull barrel, lots of steel in that gun. Can’t wait to go try it out.

I hadn’t noticed the Lightning in the “H”

German proof mark 1986 and importer’s mark, Engels in Frankfurt

Millett rear sight

Feedback Score
    I took it to the 25 m indoor range yesterday. It shot a bit high for my liking, so I aimed slightly below 6 o’clock

Then I rested it on a bag for fine tuning the sights

Just a couple clicks were enough to produce good results

Then some more offhand shooting

I am super happy with this pistol. I shot 110 rounds of high velocity ammo (Eley force), not a single hiccup, gun was totally reliable including the last 30 rounds at very high pace. It’s heavy but well balanced, very stable, and the trigger is very good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast