Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Preferred out of the box 1911

Feedback Score
    30 (100%)
    The TCP commander has caught me eye for a minute. Generally I dislike alloy frame guns after a bad experience with a Springfield LW years ago but I surmise its a non issue nowadays.

TCP looks like a nice package for the price imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That does look good JP.
    Appears to be an upgraded Valor; rail, beveled slide and trigger upgrade.

FWIW, I had a 9mm Valor that was a very good gun, that was given to my Daughter.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I have had Springfield Mil-Spec ($400, new), Springfield Loaded, Springfield TRP, Dan Wesson, SIG (11XXX SN), and Les Baer. I like them all, I love Springfield (but not a huge fan of the Loaded). Almost all sub-$1K 1911s have crappy stock triggers which need some tweaking. I have shot Wilsons, quite a bit, and my fave 1911 hands-down is a 9mm Wilson 1911 that Larry Vickers has, which he let me shoot in a class some years ago. Interestingly, the best out-of-the-box trigger is on the SIG. They ****ed up something else which made it go back to them for repair, but the trigger was very nice.

When I was in the Navy and attached to the Marines we used the MEU(SOC) 1911, a bastardized 1911 with parts from all over. Our armorers used voo doo and black magic to keep those things running, but they ran like a raped ape. Our frames were a mix of Springfield and Caspian, and some were 50 years old.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by pag23 View Post
    What are pros and cons?
    Pros to me are the price point considering the quality of the weapon. It's a nice clean weapon as far as roll marks etc. It is very accurate, easy shooting and runs. I've put a little over 500 rounds through it and haven't had any issues. I'm used to shooting striker fired pistols and this took a bit getting used to but now I can keep 25yard off hand groups easily within 3" which is good for me. I don't really have any cons that I can think of at this point. Given time maybe some will come up.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    Pros to me are the price point considering the quality of the weapon. It's a nice clean weapon as far as roll marks etc. It is very accurate, easy shooting and runs. I've put a little over 500 rounds through it and haven't had any issues. I'm used to shooting striker fired pistols and this took a bit getting used to but now I can keep 25yard off hand groups easily within 3" which is good for me. I don't really have any cons that I can think of at this point. Given time maybe some will come up.
    Thank you!

Feedback Score
    I would start with nothing lower than the sprinfield RO. If you are wanting a hard use gun, springfield TRP or TRP op, trade out the plunger tubes but after that, you are good to go. From there although I dont have any personal experience with DW, no one has said a bad thing about them. I love my WC though, it gets carried quit often and is the best shooting gun I have ever owned probably.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If someone asks this question, I'm guessing it's because it's their first. Without financial disclosures, I wouldn't encourage anyone to spend a mint on a gun they may not like. Go too cheap, and you run the risk of being ruined on the platform with a piece of shit.

I'd go Springfield LW Operator. Good performance and longevity for (if I recall, I haven't had one in a while) under a grand. Has some resale value if you decide to upgrade later. Over 1500...take your pick, most will be fine.

Feedback Score
    I had to do some research before posting.
    OP, I'm going to guess you're a Marine with a little bit of time and a good amount of money to spend on perhaps a non-work-related carry or hobby handgun.

You've already got other firearms, including a ZevTech Glock, should the considered 1911 or 2011 ever go down.
    I say this as any 1911 or 2011 might not work 100% out-of-the-box, but let's hope it will work.

I'd be looking at a brand with the best customer service should anything break or not work 100%. I'd want free shipping and a quick turnaround. Companies with this reputation are or include Springfield-Armory and Wilson-Combat. There are likely other good companies but I'm just not familiar with all of them.

In another thread, you asked about Atlas and Wilson-Combat handguns. Again, Wilson has a great chance of working out of the box. The one Atlas I shot (not mine, but a friend's) was a .40 and was finicky as to reliability unless handloaded ammo was used with a slightly longer overall length was used. For 2011 guns, Staccato seems to be the current favorite and in 9mm. Do decide whether to go with an optic or not as getting a slide modified, to me, is just too much trouble after purchase.

With all that said, any brand-name 1911/2011 may work well out-of-the-box...or it might not.

Although always tempted, I've sworn off the 1911 (& 2011) types and now down to just three 1911s left in my safe. I think I've owned nine 1911s over the years.

I also generally don't recommend a 1911 to just anybody, but the OP seems to be well-versed in firearm ownership and has other firearms on which to rely upon should his 1911/2011 need to go back for any length of time.

If this was for a main carry handgun for work, then I'd have to refer someone to 10-8 Performance's Youtube channel and/or what I remember of when he used to post advice articles on his website. He's since taken down those articles but, I think, intends to replace them with Youtube vids someday.
    Last edited by L-2; 10-17-20 at 13:12.

Feedback Score
    A lot of good advice, but you have many questions you need to answer for yourself.

The purpose of the pistol? CCW, range pistol, etc.

What caliber? 9mm or 45acp

What size, Commander or full size?

Magazines make a huge difference and they are not cheap, Tripp Cobra Mags, Wilsons, Chip McCormick (owned by Wilson now)

Get a good thick belt and good holster. Both are not cheap either, but make a huge difference in carrying the pistol no matter what its purpose.

Try out as many as you can. Rental guys will let you figure out a little more of what your looking for.

Once you find what you want, train and shoot as often as you can. Dry firing helps a lot. Also please don't release the slide on an empty chamber, not good for a 1911.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I know I may get some flack for this but, I picked up a S&W 1911 in 45 and it’s been pretty flawless. Got for around $700 on sale and am pretty impressed. I’ve been shooting 1911s a long time have Springfields, Excess Arms, Caspian builds, a Kimber and so on. Just my 2cents I think the S&W is pretty good.

Ed

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast