Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Preferred out of the box 1911

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by echofiveniner View Post
    What about these two, anyone ever shoot them? https://www.wilsoncombat.com/acp-full-size/ , https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/atlas-...-23-rd-pistol/ . I had a chance to get the WC EDC models in my hand but they were too short in the grip. I haven't held the Atlas yet but the I wonder is it comparable/better to the other 2011s?
    Ummm, with those 2 as your baseline, I think you should probably try and shoot a few. Otherwise, buy a Rock Island or a Springfield and see if you like it, but especially to see what you don't like about them.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Watrdawg View Post
    This may not mean much but I've had my Springfield Vickers Tactical for about 2-3 months now and love it.
    What are pros and cons?

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Perhaps things have changed, but entry level 1911’s like RIA, were in large part responsible for the new comers dissatisfaction with the platform.
    They had a reputation of being “choke ‘n pukes” which were incapable of 2 mags in a row without a failure.

A 1911 makes for a lousy “production gun”, needing some hands on fitment/tweaking as a rule.

Certainly CNC has helped this situation, but in the 1911/2011 world, my experience is, little beats the “hands on” of a true 1911 mechanic.
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    My first 1911 was a Taurus PT1911 when they first came out. It gave me a favorable impression of the government model pistol that I wanted another. The Taurus treated me well and I was able to sell it for what I paid for due to it's value going up. Sometimes entry level is good enough.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Not discounting that 1986, as I said, "perhaps things have changed"- apparently they have.

In the day. we used (Brazilian manufactured and imported) Springfield Armory 1911 A1's as base models for pistols.
    They were CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Colts, which was about the only other new production option. They worked fine in that role as "base gun".
    A true "Gun Guy" (or gal) should have familiarity and a modicum of proficiency with most all firearms platforms.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaijin View Post
    Not discounting that 1986, as I said, "perhaps things have changed"- apparently they have.

In the day. we used (Brazilian manufactured and imported) Springfield Armory 1911 A1's as base models for pistols.
    They were CONSIDERABLY cheaper than Colts, which was about the only other new production option. They worked fine in that role as "base gun".
    Things have most certainly changed. RIA is a very reliable entry level gun now. I have owned several and all were 100% from day one. Why did I sell them??? They are still pretty ugly and not a great gun to upgrade. I can't leave well enough alone and have to tinker with everything.
    Last edited by JLP; 10-13-20 at 09:00.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

My example of one was g2g, I have heard/read that the RIA's are also acceptable in the entry department. I moved onto Colt which is what I run now. Mine has minimal modifications from stock. Last I checked new Colts started below $1000.00 for a base model. My LGS often has Wilson and Dan Wesson on the shelves. I like the Wilsons but I just won't spend that much on a pistol. The DW's I like all have the bob tail which I don't like.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I also own and carry a couple DW Valkyrie (Alloy Frame) Commanders. Minimal "tweaking" was involved, otherwise they were GTG.
    For their price point, DWs I've had experience with (4) are quite good.

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I also own and carry a couple DW Valkyrie (Alloy Frame) Commanders. Minimal "tweaking" was involved, otherwise they were GTG.
    For their price point, DWs I've had experience with (4) are quite good.
    What type of work was needed?
    Enough rounds to determine if the alloy is holding up OK? Feeding and feedramp OK?
    I have the full-sized/steel Valkyrie, and really like it after dumping those damn Heinie NS. However, it IS heavy, and I’m considering switching to alloy. TIA

geezer john
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
    What type of work was needed?
    Enough rounds to determine if the alloy is holding up OK? Feeding and feedramp OK?
    I have the full-sized/steel Valkyrie, and really like it after dumping those damn Heinie NS. However, it IS heavy, and I’m considering switching to alloy. TIA

geezer john
    My pair are 9s with ramped barrels, so chewing up frame ramp isn’t at issue.
    Im fairly certain their 45s have same ramped barrels.

Both pistols have +- 4K rds and are holding up fine.

Since they’re alloy frames I look at them as carry guns that see occasional range use.

Forgot to add; nothing technically “needed” as they functioned 100%.
    Electively did; trigger job, tweaked thumb safety for more positive/easier function, removed and chamfered/undercut and stoned/polished extractor claw. No re- tensioning of extractor necessary.
    Changed FSs to Dawson FO, .100” wide.
    Last edited by gaijin; 10-13-20 at 13:01. Reason: Added requested info

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast