Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: .22 Revolver

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I have a 5.5" Single Six and a 3" Bearcat, and my wife has a 4" Bearcat. The Single Six (and by extension, the Wrangler) is much easier to shoot than the tiny Bearcat.

yzGqmNJ.jpg

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Here's my son's Colt Frontier Scout - he loves it:

Feedback Score
    Okay, looked at Ruger's catalog to see what was still in production. The Single Six and its kin are still there, with adjustable sights and higher capacity cylinders, for $600+, and even the Bearcat (a real sweetheart of a relatively tiny single action) is virtually that expensive.
    The Wrangler is the value leader; it has an alloy frame and zinc grip; of course the cylinder and the barrel are steel. It is in the $200 range, and it is a Ruger. It's apt to be the best value for the money.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyLate View Post
    I have a 5.5" Single Six and a 3" Bearcat, and my wife has a 4" Bearcat. The Single Six (and by extension, the Wrangler) is much easier to shoot than the tiny Bearcat.

yzGqmNJ.jpg
    Andy', I've a early 70s Super Bearcat; it is a tiny little bugger, but mine has the plow handle grip of its larger kin, so it is fun to shoot...tho' I've smallish hands.
    Been tempted to get the 3" Bearcat with the birds head grip, just because they are really tiny and pretty. Thus far, have held off that urge...
    Yeah, if you want to do this economically, the Wrangler is the way to go.
    Moon

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by militarymoron View Post
    Here's my son's Colt Frontier Scout - he loves it:

A Frontier Scout was my very first handgun; I bought the alloy frame because I didn't like the look of the casehardened one...
    Traded it a little later on a Super Bearcat.
    Doubt very much if the OP can find a bargain on a New Frontier...
    Moon

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    A Frontier Scout was my very first handgun; I bought the alloy frame because I didn't like the look of the casehardened one...
    Traded it a little later on a Super Bearcat.
    Doubt very much if the OP can find a bargain on a New Frontier...
    Moon
    Man, it's gorgeous though!

Andy

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halfmoonclip View Post
    Andy', I've a early 70s Super Bearcat; it is a tiny little bugger, but mine has the plow handle grip of its larger kin, so it is fun to shoot...tho' I've smallish hands.
    Been tempted to get the 3" Bearcat with the birds head grip, just because they are really tiny and pretty. Thus far, have held off that urge...
    Yeah, if you want to do this economically, the Wrangler is the way to go.
    Moon
    Mine predates the factory 3" birdahead Shopkeepers, it's a 4" New Bearcat cut down by a well known smith (I am drawing a blank on who and too lazy to find the box and check the receipt). I bought it used a couple years ago for just a tad less than a used stainless New Bearcat would cost.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyLate; 10-05-20 at 22:48.

Feedback Score
    I was at a shooting match and they had a side match with the wranglers. I have been shooting single actions for decades and was pretty into cowboy action shooting for a number of years so generally shoot a single action well. Despite this I couldn’t hit for squat with the wrangler. I can’t say 100% for sure but it was hitting rather high compared to sights.
    Considering the price I thought about picking one up, but not after that experience

Feedback Score
    IMHO, a lot of the charm of a single action is wedded to the satisfying boom of a .45 Colt.
    Love my ancient Bearcat, but it doesn't see much shooting, due to its subcaliber.
    Can't even get excited about a SAA in .357 for the same reason.
    That's just me.
    Moon
    ETA-was popping away with the .45 Schofield last night, and that is fun too.
    M

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    I have a Smith and Wesson 617 22lr revolver that is great.. not sure if it hits your price point. But its a 10 shot revolver and has been totally reliable, accurate and fun to shoot for me and my kids.. I've owned this 1 for over 20 years.
    right here, end thread imho

if SA, go with the roughrider. My boys each have one and they've been fantastic as well as cheap to boot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast