Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need to clean my barrels for storage?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

Do I need to clean my barrels for storage?

I have two standard 16" BCM ELW rifles that I bought for my young sons. I have shot each one about 120 rounds to verify function and zero the sights (Fed XM193, Speer GD.) Prior to shooting I field stripped and cleaned/lubed the BCG and wiped the preservative from the exterior (Slip cleaner and EWL.) I did not touch the bores, just visually verified they were clear.

I am not much of a cleaner of my guns, but these two will be sitting for years before being used. Do I need to clean the bores? I have a cheap Wheeler stainless steel multi-piece cleaning rod I could use. I don't want to scratch the chrome lining or damage anything.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yes, IMO, you should clean them well if they're going into long term storage.

Unless you're a total spaz with the stainless rod, you're not gonna hurt the bore. Or you could spend a couple bucks on an Otis pull-through.
    Last edited by kerplode; 09-30-20 at 12:45.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you don't live by the ocean or didn't use corrosive ammo then it doesn't matter. Not having a clean barrel isn't going to effect anything unless you're doing some serious long distance precision shooting.

I've got a few rifles sitting since 2014ish.
    Last edited by Arik; 09-30-20 at 12:59.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Cleaning & oiling the bore before long term storage is cheap insurance. I came back from overseas (UK) after two years and found the bore of my 6mm looking rough. I hadn't cleaned or oiled it before I left. I thought the bore was destroyed. I ran a couple patches through the bore and it cleaned up in near pristine condition. The patches came out green. The copper in the bore turned to verdigris. Fortunately, home was Southern California and not too near the coast.

I don't know if the verdigris is porous enough to capture moisture or cause corrosion, but it's a simple matter to clean the barrel & oil it against future misfortune and periodically repeat the procedure.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    No. Unless you're using corrosive ammo. Plenty of guns have sat for years and years with dirty barrels and suffered no ill effects.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Cleaning & oiling the bore before long term storage is cheap insurance.
    This.. running an oil patch in each bore is a no brainer. You don't have to clean to perfection though.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Cleaning & oiling the bore before long term storage is cheap insurance. I came back from overseas (UK) after two years and found the bore of my 6mm looking rough. I hadn't cleaned or oiled it before I left. I thought the bore was destroyed. I ran a couple patches through the bore and it cleaned up in near pristine condition. The patches came out green. The copper in the bore turned to verdigris. Fortunately, home was Southern California and not too near the coast.

I don't know if the verdigris is porous enough to capture moisture or cause corrosion, but it's a simple matter to clean the barrel & oil it against future misfortune and periodically repeat the procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    This.. running an oil patch in each bore is a no brainer. You don't have to clean to perfection though.

As others have said I do the same.

The extra minute it takes to run a patch or two down each barrel before I put my rifles back in the safe is time well spent, IMO.
    <------Be not affraid!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    41 (100%)
    Run an Otis rip cord through it, and run an oily patch down afterward. Should only takes a few short minutes.

Feedback Score
    You don't have to, but you should. It only takes a couple minutes to run a patch through the bore with some CLP and then follow with a few clean patches.

Feedback Score
    Do you view your weapons as precision mechanical devices, or metal crap you couldn’t care less about?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast