Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do I need to clean my barrels for storage?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks for the input so far.

I've used this multi-piece Wheeler rod on other ARs before and it feels like it's scraping the inside of the barrel. Right now these barrels are virgin in terms of cleaning.

I was going to get the pull string type but read a bunch of threads here where they've broken inside the barrel requiring burning out and such.

Lots of other threads talking about never cleaning bores, just chambers, etc.

I'll probably keep looking for the nice nylon coated one piece rods, but so far everything seems to be out of stock.

All that aside, what is the technical concern with not cleaning a chrome lined barrel after shooting non-corrosive Federal and Speer ammo? Do copper deposits rust from humidity and pit the chrome barrel lining?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Redacted
    Last edited by kirkland; 10-16-20 at 01:58.

Feedback Score
    Need to? No. But why not run a patch down the bore to be safe. I imagine there’s a member here who would sell you a rod or bore snake if you post an ad in the EE. I’ve run countless bore snakes down many different barrels and never had an issue with one breaking.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Thanks for the input so far.

I've used this multi-piece Wheeler rod on other ARs before and it feels like it's scraping the inside of the barrel. Right now these barrels are virgin in terms of cleaning.

I was going to get the pull string type but read a bunch of threads here where they've broken inside the barrel requiring burning out and such.

Lots of other threads talking about never cleaning bores, just chambers, etc.

I'll probably keep looking for the nice nylon coated one piece rods, but so far everything seems to be out of stock.

All that aside, what is the technical concern with not cleaning a chrome lined barrel after shooting non-corrosive Federal and Speer ammo? Do copper deposits rust from humidity and pit the chrome barrel lining?
    If you use a standard 22 caliber Bore Snake, you'll be fine. Stay away from the Viper version. They break easy.

With all the time and effort you've spent on this thread, you could have cleaned the ARs, read your kids The Cat In The Hat and tucked them into bed, firm in the knowledge you did what's best for their futures.
    Last edited by MistWolf; 10-04-20 at 23:22.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12