Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Most accurate bolt gun for $2500

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Those look interesting .. but no accuracy guarantee on the website. Masterpiece Arms and GA Precision have 3/8 an inch MOA guarantee on some rifles. Do you have experience with Badrock rifles?
    No I have no experience or any more info than what is on the website, sorry man ! A buddy of mine told me about them early Summer. Lot's of quality features but you are correct no real info on accuracy "potential". I would call them up and see what they say, I'm sure they will toot there own horn and looks mean nothing but I would bet that they can hold there own. Yes with MPA & GA you have it in writing so that's a plus but you know there are peeps who have called these places up and bitched cuz they can't get what they claim,,LOL In the big picture you would probably feel better going with a known product but like I say give them a call and ask a bunch of questions and see what ya get ! Guess it boils down to how serious you really want to be & what is available in your area for competition and how much you want to really get involved.
    I always like this website for general info, nothing on particular rifles but tons of info on "everything" else ! https://precisionrifleblog.com/categ...-the-pros-use/
    Last edited by m1a_scoutguy; 10-02-20 at 00:00.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    No I have no experience or any more info than what is on the website, sorry man ! A buddy of mine told me about them early Summer. Lot's of quality features but you are correct no real info on accuracy "potential". I would call them up and see what they say, I'm sure they will toot there own horn and looks mean nothing but I would bet that they can hold there own. Yes with MPA & GA you have it in writing so that's a plus but you know there are peeps who have called these places up and bitched cuz they can't get what they claim,,LOL In the big picture you would probably feel better going with a known product but like I say give them a call and ask a bunch of questions and see what ya get ! Guess it boils down to how serious you really want to be & what is available in your area for competition and how much you want to really get involved.
    I always like this website for general info, nothing on particular rifles but tons of info on "everything" else ! https://precisionrifleblog.com/categ...-the-pros-use/
    Thanks for the link.. I'd not seen that before and lots of great info. Much appreciated!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    6 CM is a more competitive cartridge for PRS/NRL, and is available from major manufacturers.
    You can also find 6 XC and 6 BR, but at a pretty significantly increased cost per round as compared to the 6 CM.

I really like 6.5 CM in gas-guns, but if I was orienting a gun to win PRS/NRL type competitions, it would be in 6mm.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m1a_scoutguy View Post
    I had to go back and look it up I couldn't remember the name,I ran into these a few months back and thought it was a lot of rifle for the $$$ ! What's interesting is the company address is the same as Defiance machine out of Montana ! www.badrockrifles.com Take a look.
    Defiance Machine puts those rifles together, that’s their entry into the “Production” division of PRS.

Also worth noting that American Rifle Company is also making a PRS production legal rig:

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/p...00?category=26

Feedback Score
    81 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Defiance Machine puts those rifles together, that’s their entry into the “Production” division of PRS.

Also worth noting that American Rifle Company is also making a PRS production legal rig:

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/p...00?category=26
    Yea,I thought that was interesting cuz when I 1st saw them and looked for "contact" info both address were the same !
    3881 Montana Highway 40 West
    Columbia Falls, MT 59912
    Ya gotta figure that the receiver is top shelf so doesn't make sense that they would put a crap BBL on it ! Anyways as awesome as they look I'm not a "Chassis" guy, they just don't appeal to me,& I'm not shooting competition so I don't need the latest's and greatest, I just like the traditional stocks, but then that's just me ! I have buddies that have the Ruger Precision rifle and those things for the $$$ are more than adequate but there ugly,LOL !!
    Depending on where you live (Winter is coming) and how bad ya want a new precision rifle I would look around and find a older Remington 700 rifle get the action trued up and after ya get the BBL installed just build it up yourself ! I've always wanted to do that but just never have ! Probably wouldn't save any $$$ but it would be fun & rewarding I think !

Feedback Score
    I've competed in long range and PRS for around 5 years, and i agree with Jack that 6mm is the way to go for competition. Reloading will always get you the best and most consistant accuracy, but if you don't want to reload, 6creed has good factory ammo options that are accurate enough for competition (prime and hornady).

Most people in PRS are shooing custom builds, but GAP and Masterpiece make great guns. For barrels, i have had great success with Hawk Hill and Bartlein. If i were you, i would get a custom 6mm barrel (Bartlein, hawk hill, proof), custom action (Defiance, Curtis Custom, Bighorn, etc), the stock/chassis you want (KRG, Masterpiece Arms, XLR, etc), and then have a reputable gunsmith chamber the barrel and assemble and true it etc. You will probably pay less that way.

If you want a cheaper option, you could run a tikka action ($500), KRG X-ray or XLR Element chassis $450, and Bartlein 6mm barrel $350. Not sure what a gunsmith would charge to chamber, thread, and install the barrel etc, but you'd probably into the rifle around $1,600 ish before scope. Proof Research also makes steel pre-fit barrels for Tikka actions, so you wouldn't need a gunsmith to chamber it.

Hope that gives you a few options.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by B Cart View Post
    I've competed in long range and PRS for around 5 years, and i agree with Jack that 6mm is the way to go for competition. Reloading will always get you the best and most consistant accuracy, but if you don't want to reload, 6creed has good factory ammo options that are accurate enough for competition (prime and hornady).

Most people in PRS are shooing custom builds, but GAP and Masterpiece make great guns. For barrels, i have had great success with Hawk Hill and Bartlein. If i were you, i would get a custom 6mm barrel (Bartlein, hawk hill, proof), custom action (Defiance, Curtis Custom, Bighorn, etc), the stock/chassis you want (KRG, Masterpiece Arms, XLR, etc), and then have a reputable gunsmith chamber the barrel and assemble and true it etc. You will probably pay less that way.

If you want a cheaper option, you could run a tikka action ($500), KRG X-ray or XLR Element chassis $450, and Bartlein 6mm barrel $350. Not sure what a gunsmith would charge to chamber, thread, and install the barrel etc, but you'd probably into the rifle around $1,600 ish before scope. Proof Research also makes steel pre-fit barrels for Tikka actions, so you wouldn't need a gunsmith to chamber it.

Hope that gives you a few options.
    Thanks .. great info. Any suggestions on a good gunsmith near NW Ga? We have a lot of guys that tinker with guns.. but knowing who is really good?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Devildawg2531 View Post
    Thanks .. great info. Any suggestions on a good gunsmith near NW Ga? We have a lot of guys that tinker with guns.. but knowing who is really good?
    I don't unfortunately. I live in Utah, and i know a few out here, but not in GA. If you don't want to worry about it, the Masterpiece arms option would be very solid.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I don't think you can get into a half-MOA GAP or MPA for under $2500 . The most accurate under $2500? That Bergara HMR Pro you have--within your price range--would be very competitive. A slightly different take: stick with the Bergara for a while, use your budget to invest in quality glass (check the EE at the Hide, etc.), such as Leupold MK 5, NF NX8 or ATACR, or one of the 'budget' high-end glass scopes like Burris XTR iii, or the new Brownells 5-25 glass that's Japanese made (as are most Nightforce, and high-end other US optics).

Another option under $2500 if you want a proven factory rifle option that can get you into the half MOA range within your budget: Tikka CTR. Get one of those in 6.5, drop it into say a KRG Bravo, there's thread after thread of people at the Hide who were stunned that they could get half and in some cases sub-half MOA from the factory barrel. When you're ready, rebarrel that thang to 6mm and you're off to the races. I have a factory Tikka action running a Proof CF in 6.5 and it's shooting half MOA and in a couple cases sub-half with ammo it likes (Barnes 127gr, Hornady 120 ELDM, Federal 130 OTM).

But just sayin', if it were me and I had that beautiful Bergara, I'd go the route of getting quality glass and just train with that for a while. You could possibly get the nice glass, AND have Bergara rebarrel your HMR PRO to 6mm or 6.5 CM, they have a very low fee to rebarrel. And see if you even like PRS, and meanwhile you can keep improving your shooting skills and even if you still upgrade rifle later, you'll still have the glass.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    6mm ARC would be an interesting option as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast